Wagon Train

A few days pass, and we learn the general layout of the area around the tree. There was a river running to the northwest from the tree, and a forest spread out across the hills far to the east. It was a very pretty and picturesque landscape, but it would probably look much prettier in the spring. I was sure of that.

The freezing temperatures of winter proved to be less of an obstacle than I thought; the river was plentiful with delicious fish, which I was able to stab with my spears. Dream made a little fire next to the river, and we cooked the fish there. We ate very well for the remainder of the winter, which passed by quickly with all we found to do and explore. I mean, we didn't exactly stray far from the tree, but even then, there was plenty for us to do. Collecting wood and sticks, catching fish, gutting them - which I did, since Dream was a little squeamish - and maintaining the fire.

Exploring was a little different, though. I had expressed concerns to Dream about leaving the tree unguarded, so we made it a rule to have one of us by the tree at all times. I was relieved that Dream was taking his part of the responsibility seriously; I don't know what I would do if he wasn't. Regardless, we took turns heading off into the woods to gather firewood, as well as find new sources of food.

"Brother!" Dream exclaimed, running up to me after a few hours of exploring. I turned to him with a curious look. "You won't believe what I found!"

"What did you find, Dream?"

"Look!" He held out his hand to reveal a tiny flower. It was pink, and there were five petals. I thought I recognized it as an apple blossom. "Isn't it pretty?"

"Yes, it is," I murmured, studying it closer. What are apple trees doing blooming in late winter? I touched the blossom, and met Dream's eyelights. "Where did you find this?"

"Oh! It was just past that little crick about where we found that dead tree. Y'know? Like, over there!" he pointed in a direction, and I nodded.

"Stay here, Dream. I want to check it out."

"Why can't I come with you?" he put on a pleading look, and I suppressed the urge to laugh. "Please? Just this once?"

I looked out toward the place he pointed to. I knew kind of where he was telling me it was, but I didn't like the idea of leaving the tree. But, I reasoned, we'll be back before anything could happen to it. I chanted that in my head as I looked back to my brother.

"Ok. But just this once!"

"Yay!"

He led me to the tree he'd gotten the blossom from, and sure enough, it had leaves and blooms peeking out under the snow. I was incredulous, staring agape at the tree. I walked up to it, placing my hand on the trunk.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Dream walked up to me with a bright smile, and I returned it.

"It is. Great job, Dream!" He laughed, and I looked back up at the branches. The leaves were still little more than buds, but their color was clearly dark. The blooms were also barely alive, and I asked myself how they would survive any type of frost. It would surely kill them, wouldn't it?

Taking a fully formed leaf, I looked it over closely. It was as long as my thumb, and fanned out slightly before rounding out at the end. It certainly wasn't an apple leaf! Apple leaves were straighter and had little bristles along the edges. So, what could it be?

I pondered this as we walked back. The sun was setting, and our fire was getting low. I stoked the flames with a spear, huddling close to it for warmth. Sure, I could just go up to the dark side of the Tree of Feelings, but I didn't want to start depending on it too much. I had no idea how our situation would play out, so I decided to play it safe. I felt a twinge of concern, but not from myself. I turned my attention to Dream, who had put his hand above the gash across the trunk of our tree. I got up and went over to him.