2

12 hours ago

"I CAN'T believe they're making me do this," I fix my hair for the hundredth time that night, and look at myself in the rearview mirror, "it's just a date, Xiomara. You once liked dates."

I haven't been having the best luck with dating. After my daughters decided to sign me up for a dating site, me reluctantly agreeing, they chose some woman for me to meet. They said that it would be spontaneous of me for once in my life. I don't even know what she looks like, but I know that my daughters would choose someone appropriate. God, I hope that they didn't set me up with a grandmother.

Getting out of the car, I head into the restaurant, and look around. We agreed to use a reservation, so a waiter or waitress will show me to the table where she is. I only see a couple in the restaurant, no one else. Realizing that I'm early, I grab a seat at the bar, and order a drink.

"Waiting for someone?" The bartender asks, and receives a nod. The orange and blue highlights in his hair, including the many piercings on his face, reminds me of my youngest son.

"That obvious, huh?"

He shrugs, looking around. I tap my fingers against the stem of my wine glass, as I look at the artwork lined off on the walls. It's a great LGBT+ friendly restaurant and bar that I'm in, one that I've always loved to take my children to. How I ended up there for a date at that same place? Well, I didn't know where else to choose, and my daughters thought that it's appropriate, in case the person I meet turns out to be a wacko.

"You're never here alone, so yeah, meeting someone?" He asks for confirmation.

"Blind date actually, not my choice."

The bartender smiles, and heads off to tend to another customer, while I sit in agony. What am I doing? I shouldn't be dating. I should be focusing on work, and my pregnant daughter. Fuck, I'm going to be a grandmother soon.

I don't even give a second glance to the tall brunette who walks past me beside a waiter, and towards a table. I look at the door with a heavy sigh. Where's my frickin' date?

Finishing my glass of wine, I order another, and look over the unoccupied seats in the restaurant. When I notice the waiter walking over to me, I wonder if he knows where my date is.

"Reservation for Xiomara?" I nod, "your date's over there," he points and I let out a deep breath. Without looking, I follow him, afraid to look at the person who I'll share a table with. What if she's not my type? What if she's a big, old cunt?

As I sit, I finally look into mesmerizing blue eyes. Fuck, am I at the wrong table?

"Xiomara?" The young girl asks, making me involuntarily nod. I'm on a date with her? In what universe do my kids think this is appropriate?

I place my wine glass, and phone onto the table. If not anything else, she's gorgeous. My eyes drop to her pink, puffy lips. Damn, those look succulent.

The girl smiles, and twirls her fingers around her own wine glass. At least she's old enough to drink.

"Yeah, you're Bethany?"

She nods, making me swallow. I'm like thrice your age! Okay, maybe not that much, but still!

"You seem uncomfortable. Expected someone else?"

I press my lips together, cursing myself under my breath, "actually," I close my eyes, and take a deep inhale. This isn't what I signed up for. I can't go through with this. Opening my handbag, I grab my wallet, and take out a fifty dollar bill, "I need to go," I rest the money onto the table, and get up, looking at her confused eyes. She probably thinks that I'm an asshole.