26

THAT NIGHT, while Blue's fast asleep, Bethany and I are in bed enjoying each other's company, "I love spending time with you," she breathes in my scent by pressing her nose against my chest.

"I love spending time with you too," as I run my fingers through her hair, I don't miss her long hair as much as I thought I would. She's the same perfect woman that I fell in... I breathe in.

"Ever think you'll get married again?" She asks. I shift and hold her against me.

"I've never thought about it actually. Why do you ask?" There's many things that I'm oblivious about, but I know that she's thinking about our future together.

"Just wondering. I'd like the option, in case we work out for the best," I close my eyes, and imagine a white, puffy gown. Yeah, maybe I can walk down an aisle again... maybe.

"As long as you love me, anything is possible," I don't realize what I said until her response.

"I do love you," my entire body tenses. Damn, that's pretty lovely to hear. Okay, don't cry, don't cry. Woman up, for Christ's sake.

"Really?" I ask. I can feel myself choking up. It's only been four months. How can she be sure? Is it pity love? Is she confused about what love is?

"I've never felt this way about anyone else. And I even googled it," she sits up, and looks at me tentatively, "google didn't help much, but I think I'm trusting my gut and heart here when I say," she inhales a deep breath, "I do love you, Xiomara."

I'm pretty sure that I'm really crying now. Dammit.

"I, uh, I—" I'm mesmerized by her confession. How is it so simple? For a woman like her to love someone like me? How did I get so lucky?

"You love me too?" I like how she fills in what I want to say. But I want to say it, so she hears, and will never forget it.

"I love you, Bethany. More than you can ever imagine," she presses her lips together, and looks down, placing her hands in mine. My heart's fluttering, and I don't know if I should kiss the life out of her, or just hug her. Let's just do both, Xiomara.

"MA, WE have a situation," Jane sounds so scared. My chest tightens, as she pants for breath through the phone.

"What situation?" I position the phone closer to my ear, becoming extremely worried. Did something happen to the baby? Is Demetri okay? Fuck, if it's about Mary... dammit.

"It's about Mom. She's being taken to the hospital."

"What!" I panic. Shit.

"Car accident. I know you don't want to. But we all need you—"

"Text me which hospital. I'm on my way," the drive is excruciatingly long. I keep imagining the worst possible outcome. Is there brain damage? Is she paralyzed? Fuck, fuck, mother of fucks.

When I get to the nurses' station, they try to give me a hard time, but Jane finds me, and takes me to the waiting room where everyone else is.

"Is she going to be okay?" Mary clings to my arm, and she's not letting go. They're so vulnerable right now, and there's nothing that I can do to make them feel better.

I stretch my arms out, and two of them take one side of my body. It's a cluster, but hopefully, my motherly warmth can soothe their broken souls. I should text Bethany, and inform her of what's going on, especially since we made plans for tonight, but my hands won't be free for a while.

Two hours feels like ten years when you're waiting eagerly for information. Anything at this point would be a relief—at least the confirmation that she's still alive. And when the doctor approaches us, with the most typical, unreadable expression on his face, I almost faint.

"I'm Doctor Bruton. The patient has—"

"Petah. Her name is Petah," Mary corrects, in her grounded tone.

"Sorry," he smiles softly, "Petah suffered a concussion, and some fractures, including a large piece of glass piercing into her abdomen. We were able to remove it without causing too much blood lost—"

"Is she alive?" Jane trembles and holds onto my arm.

"Yes, yes, she is. She's just resting right now. But you can see her soon."

"Thank you," I mutter and wipe a tear away. Seeing my kids in so much pain and agony is making me extremely emotional, and regardless of the frustrations that I have with Petah, I still care for her.