13

BREAKFAST IS peaceful, and my stomach feels like it will collapse anytime soon. We head back to Bethany's apartment, and while Jane plays with Blue in his room, Bethany and I are sitting on the couch in awkward silence.

"Should I expect her over here often?" Bethany asks. I grind my teeth and shrug.

"Probably. She's got the baby fever right now."

Bethany touches my arm, and leans against me, "she's great. At least she supports your decisions," I wrap my arm around her shoulder, surprising even myself. She doesn't move away, and instead, rests the side of her head against my shoulder blade. It's probably the most intimate position that we have ever been in.

"Yeah. They all love their mom. I'm pretty sure Jane feels the same as her siblings. She's just putting up a brave face, as usual," I explain.

Bethany sighs, and I place a kiss on top of her head. It's so sensual and simple, and it has me blushing like an idiot, "why won't you give their mom a second chance?" Bethany asks. It sounds like a whisper, but she confidently speaks. I shift and become uncomfortable, but I don't move away.

"I loved Petah. And our marriage was great at first, but with years on our hands, we drifted apart."

"She cheated," I wonder how she guessed that, "it's always cheating. Well it's a lucky guess too," Bethany's breath is against my chest, and I wonder if she's staring at my cleavage. I would stare at hers if I'm in her position. But she probably has more self control than me, and tucks away her inappropriate thoughts at moments like these.

"Yes, she did. But that doesn't matter anymore. I have my kids, my career, and—" I want to say her, but that'll come off as weird. We don't know each other that well, and I don't want to scare her off.

"And?" She looks up at me, those blue eyes drawing me in, "you can say it," her voice is a whisper, and I swallow hard.

"Save it for a bedroom," Jane walks out with her hands on her hips. She's almost six months pregnant, and it seems as though she's breeding a gigantic watermelon.

Bethany gets up and blushes, "ready to go?" I ask.

Jane checks the time on her watch, "Mary's probably freaking out. Rush hour is soon, and I haven't finished designing the cookies. Give me a lift? I came with an Uber."

I'm disappointed that I have to. I love spending time with Bethany, but I have to head into work soon anyway, "I'll give you a call," I assure, as I grab my purse. Blue rushes out in only his spiderman underpants.

"Bye, Xo, Xo," and back to the repetition I see. He's lucky that I love it.

"I'll miss you," I kneel down, and place a kiss on his forehead.

"Come back, pwease?" I squeeze his hand and nod.

"I couldn't go long without you anyway," my eyes lift to Bethany's, and maybe, just maybe, she realizes that I'm talking about her too.

"YOU REALLY like her, huh?" I'm focusing my eyes on the road, trying to ignore her question like the plague, "you can say it, Ma. I won't get all butthurt."

"I do," my confirmation makes her sigh. Is her reaction good or bad? I can't tell.

"She's good for you. I haven't seen you smile so much, since I told you that I'm pregnant," yeah, my grandbaby is going to be the best bundle of joy ever.

"We're just friends," I don't even believe myself, but it's the truth, at least for the time being.

"Yes, friends with benefits," Jane giggles, and I'd shove her arm if my hands weren't on the steering wheel.

"It's not like that," I wish I could kiss her, or caress her cheek with my thumb. Even a hug would be nice, but I feel even that would be crossing the line.

"What's it like then? You can tell me," no, I can't. Your mouth is bigger than the gigantic scar from my c-section.

"We're just friends, Jane. Good friends," she isn't buying it, but that doesn't matter. She can think what she wants.

"Do you sleep with all of your friends?" Your mom was my best friend, before we started dating. Why does that come to mind? I scrunch up my nose. The last thing that I want to think about is Petah.

"That was a one time thing. And I don't think I need to justify myself to you," all of my kids are so nosy. It's frustrating. I don't ask you about what you do with your husband at night!

"I guess you don't. Just remember, I'm the most supportive kid you've got right now," I groan. That mouth of hers!

It also makes me sad. Mary is suppose to always be on my side, no matter what. Where did things go wrong? Yeah, right, Petah's a big bitch. It's not right to refer to the mother of your children in such a manner, but she deserves it. Fuck her and her feelings. What about mine? Nine years and now she's all in her feelings. What about how I was feeling when she handed me divorce papers?

I take a deep breath, trying to calm down the thumping in my brain. It was for the best—our divorce. I know that for sure. I say, "yeah, I don't see how that's a good thing honestly," she rubs my shoulder blade, as I park in front of the bakery. I see Mary at the counter through the glass wall, and she spots me too. I lift my hand to wave at her, and she waves back, but I don't feel like going inside, "call me later, okay. I'm going to head home to change, before going to work."

"Not comfortable in Bethany's clothes?" Jane raises her brow, as my eyes widen.

"Uh, no, it's not that—"

"I'll call you, Ma," she chuckles, as she unbuckles her seatbelt, and opens the door, "love you," she steps out of the car.

"Love you too," I wave her off, almost irritated. After waiting for her to disappear behind the door, I apply pressure to the accelerator, and make my way home.