6

I'M NOT a fan of birthday parties, especially when it's mine. Having four kids with separate birthdays is difficult. They all want a party, and it's always a mess to clean up after. But it's rewarding, and I hire someone to clean it all up. But to be the center of attention is tiring. Everyone has to talk to the birthday girl, and I sometimes hate talking.

"We hired a band. They should be here already," Christopher's arm is around my shoulder, as I lean my head against his. I want the day to be over already, but the party has just begun.

"Why hire a band? Just play some music off of Youtube or whatever," I'm not in a good mood, especially since I haven't seen or heard from Bethany in a few days. It's taking a major toll on me, and I find myself unable to look another woman in the eye. Petah's somewhere with Ethan. And has been avoiding me like the plague.

Jane and her husband, Demetri, are yet to arrive, probably since Jane's been having trouble feeling comfortable in anything that she wears.

I'm just enjoying the little time that I have with my sons, before they head back to campus. They both attend Stanford University, which is almost a six hour drive from here. Living in Los Angeles has been the best choice for my career, even though I'm originally from Manhattan in New York.

"Mommy, you're not cuddling me," Mary whines, as she pulls me into her, ignoring her brother next to me.

"You're such a baby," Christopher mutters, as he nudges her. They're the youngest, and the most playful.

"You can't steal all the loves," she hits his arm, making him yell out in pain. I give her my motherly look, which is narrowed eyes, and a disapproving frown.

"Mother!" He streaks, pushing her arm, and causing her to stumble back. He isn't violent, but these two always fight.

"You two behave," I grab Mary's hand, and pull her into me, to make sure that she isn't hurt, "no hitting each other, or I'll ground you both," they both roll their eyes at me.

"We're too old for that, Mother," Christopher's got the most irritated look on his face, and Mary's pouting.

"I'm sorry, Mommy," she pulls me into a hug, trying to butter me up. She lives in her own studio apartment, and it's impossible for me to ground her, but she doesn't like it when I'm upset.

"Sweetheart, you're forgiven," she always manages to make me get all soft and forgiving, no matter the circumstance. Once she stole my car to go hook-up with her boyfriend, and I only grounded her for a month! I should have made her join a convent instead. She's lucky that I remember what it's like to be her age. Kids, I tell ya.

"Mother," Christopher groans, "you always give into her stupid face."

"Chrissy, don't be jealous," Mary teases. He hates it when she calls him that. I watch my kids get into an argument, and their voices begin to hurt my head, so I drag Christopher inside, and into the kitchen.

"How's college?" I ask. It's the most typical question to ask your twenty-one year old son. But I still want him to answer.

"It's good. As and Bs, but you've seen my grades already," I place my hand on his shoulder, and run my fingers through his hair. He's studying software engineering, and someday, he'll make his mommy a time machine, so that she can go back to her youth. If only that would really happen.

"You know I love you, right?" He nods, "call me more often, please? I miss you so much when you're away," I pull him into my arms, and suffocate the life out of him on purpose. It sucks to live in a big house all alone. When there's weird sounds coming from outside, I have to grab the baseball bat that I keep beside my bed. That's how paranoid I get.