4

Rain's wedding was moved up by two weeks, which meant that Kathlina had less time to win her over. The simple thing to do would have been to banish the fiancèe, but Kathlina wanted to do everything the right way.

"My Queen, shall I fix you a bath?" Kathlina had ignored Qaz's advances for the past few nights, and the servant seemed disheartened.

"Actually, Grih already fixed me one earlier. I'm off to head through the kingdom now," it was the late morning, and Kathlina wanted to visit Rain so badly. Rain's parents never knew of the relationship that they shared, or at least they never spoke a word about it. Does Rain's future wife know that she had a lover for the past few years? If so, does she know that it was her? The Queen of the Kingdom?

The royal guards escorted her. And she'd think that they knew of her affair with Rain. Kathlina had never visited Rain's home, mostly because it would draw too much suspicion. But with the new revelations, she didn't care what anyone had to say. She was widowed, and she'd think the people would expect her to find another, even if it was in a matter of days.

Everyone focused their attention on her. She'd refused to be brought inside of carriage, and everyone was probably surprised by the unexpected visit, especially with the lack of armored women and men to protect her.

"Are you sure this is where she lives, Jraah?" The guard nodded in assurance. He'd escorted Rain home many nights, and could never mistake the place where she rested her head at night.

"Yes, My Queen." Kathlina took a deep breath as Jraah knocked on the wooden door. When it opened, an older woman looked at her with widened eyes.

"The Queen!"

The woman yelled excitedly. Her husband rushed to her side, along with a young boy. Kathlina suspected him to be Rain's younger brother, "come in, come in, please, My Queen," the man insisted, as Kathlina headed inside.

She advised the guards to stay outside in the meantime, "it's such a pleasant surprise! You must attend our daughter's wedding. It's in a few days," Rain's mother proudly smiled. The frown on Kathlina's face didn't go unnoticed by the young boy, since he knew of the relationship that his sister had shared with her.

"And where is she?" The queen's voice was soft yet commanding. There was evident anger in her tone.

"She's off gathering preparations for the wedding. May I ask the reason for the visit?" Ozaro brought over tea from the kitchen, and set a cup into Kathlina's hand.

"You know that the king died a few days ago--" they all placed their hands over their hearts in mourning.

"Yes, yes. It's a tragedy."

"Your daughter's been a great friend of mine for a while and," Kathlina knew that she was overstepping with the next words that escaped her lips, "I was wondering," the queen hesitated, "why I've never met her fiancèe."

Rain's parents seemed surprised, as they looked at each other. Their daughter was friends with the queen?

"I didn't know that you two are close," the young boy scoffed, as he leaned back in his seat with a smirk. Kathlina caught his stare and gulped, suspecting his knowledge on her relationship with Rain.

"Well, she's been working for me for a few years now. I'm sure you know that she's worked long nights at the palace."

"Yes, yes, her voice really does sing a songbird to sleep," Rain was initially hired to sing the queen to sleep, not that many knew some nights no sleep was done.

"Yes, I want to," she was afraid to say it, "I want your--"

"Papa, I'm home," Rain yelled, as she entered the house alongside her fiancèe. Kathlina took in the image of her rival, her eyes harsh and cold.

"My Queen," Haj bowed in respect, and Rain stood with shock and anger in her eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"Rain! Show some respect for the queen!" Rain's mother scolded, causing the young woman to huff out a breath.

"Since you're all here, I just wanted to invite everyone to dinner. Tonight," the disbelief in Rain's eyes went unnoticed by everyone but the queen.

"I don't think we can make it," Rain was nudged by her fiancee, who wore the most shy smile on her lips.

"We can't turn down the queen, darling," Kathlina felt the color drain from her face, as those words of endearment slipped through Haj's lips.

"Of course we can't refuse," Amara announced, as she looked at her daughter skeptically.

"Then, it's settled. I'll see you all at sun down. I'll take my leave now."