6

Kathlina dressed in a white gown, that highlighted her marvelous cleavage, and flowed off of her waist, showing off her perfect figure. When she was born, her parents had used magic to enhance her beauty, causing her to be one of the most gorgeous on the land. Magic like that was rare, and only available to those who could pay hefty amounts.

When she saw Rain, her breath almost left her throat. Rain was born gorgeous, and it made Kathlina's heart flutter, even as she stood beside her soon-to-be wife.

If not anything else, Kathlina would make sure that the marriage never happened. But wasn't that selfish of her?

She knew that Rain had always wanted to marry for love, and not compromise, and she wouldn't let Rain sacrifice that. It was obvious that Rain didn't love Haj. She loved the queen—she loved Kathlina.

When everyone took seats at the gigantic, golden table, they were fascinated, to say the least. Only lucky ones were ever invited to dine at the palace, and they all considered themselves lucky, even Rain.

"I'm so overjoyed that you all made it," Kathlina spoke calmly, as her eyes travelled over to Haj leaning over to caress Rain's cheek.

Kathlina gritted her teeth, and slammed her hand onto the table. Realizing what she'd done, she looked at all the eyes that were focused on her, wondering why she was upset.

"I apologize. I'm still a bit shaken about my husband's death," Rain knew that was a lie, and her little brother did too.

"I understand, My Queen," Amara smiled at the queen, her heart thumping inside of her chest.

"So the wedding. Have all the preparation been made?" Rain was uninterested to answer the question, but Haj was happy to.

"Yes, we're all set for the big day. We really would love for you to be there," Rain nudged Haj, causing her to narrow her eyes.

"I'd love to, but I can't," Kathlina moved her hand in the air, not knowing how to make a valid excuse. But she was the queen, she didn't have to.

"And why might that be?" Rain's brother asked, growing bored with the tension in the room.

Kathlina held back an unpleasant scoff from escaping her lips. Should she be honest? She was the queen after all, right?

"I just can't," she decided to continue to be vague. She didn't want to upset Rain more than she'd already done in the past few days.

"It's a shame. It would have been wonderful to have you there. But we all know that your duties take up your time," Ozaro took a sip of his red wine, as his wife placed her hand on his shoulder.

The queen nodded, feeling numb from her fingers to her toes. She couldn't even breathe. As she placed her hand over her chest, she raised the other to gesture Qaz over, "get me some mint tea," she instructed, and Qaz headed into the kitchen immediately.

Rain paid attention to their interaction, and found it causing a throbbing inside of her chest. Had Kathlina stopped sleeping with Qaz? It made uncertainty invade her mind. As Haj's hand rested on her thigh, she began to feel sick to her stomach.

"Are you planning to remarry?" Rain's brother also asked, causing all heads to turn at him. Kathlina laughed, and coughed uncomfortably.

"Lucas!" Both his parents yelled, as Kathlina pushed her chair back and got up.

"When the right one comes along," Kathlina answered, her eyes locking on Rain's. That's when Haj noticed, and Rain's parents did too. Haj cleared her throat, feeling somewhat intimidated.

"Lucas, be quiet," Amara warned, as she took in what she'd just realized. Kathlina looked away, and wiped a tear from escaping her eye.

"I think we need to talk," Haj whispered into Rain's ear, and she flinched.