V: Wash Them Away

"Eh, I've got nothin' to do, so...yeah?" Zack's attention perked up at me, waiting for my response.

"I was thinking we could...hang out?" I muttered this nervously. I was sure he would decline.

"Huh??" He locked his eyes onto me, leaning in closer. I tried to keep a straight face.

"Ah, just forget i-" Nervous, I cracked under the pressure of eye contact.

"Sure, whatever. I couldn't care less," Cutting my statement, he had accepted my request. This made me wonder if we were real friends, but I could never jump to conclusions. Not with him.

"Oh, you'll really.." I tried hard to hide the cracks in my voice.

"Yeah, yeah. We can...soo, Dakota, what do you usually do?" Zack played with his hair.

"I spend my time cleaning in the yard, but for today, we could do something different."

"Ah, good, 'cause there's no way I'm doing that goody-two-shoes stuff." I watched him throw his water bottle over to a bin, however noticeably missing. I held in my laugh as he tried to keep cool.

"Haha..."

Now that I think about it, I had an average amount of friends in my social life. It wasn't that much: Possibly two or three. I was good friends with each and every of them, but one had really stood out to me. My special friend, who I enjoyed playing with for hours, who I spent most of my time with. I waited for them to show up at a park every day after school. They were older than me at that time, possibly twenty like I am now. Zack kind of reminded me of them, as they never failed to make me laugh or smile. I also had felt drawn to them, as Zack did to me.

Eventually, they had shown up less, leaving me alone in the cold, hatred-filled snow. As time went on, I felt empty without them, trying to kill time in any way possible. I started to feel deprived of my sanity as I spent my days alone. It was like they vanished without a trace. One day, I finally saw them again. That day, I truly felt happy...but that happiness wasn't for long, as they told me they had to leave the country for a new job. They told me it was something about 'growing up'.

But I didn't believe them, or we could say I didn't want to believe them. I needed them so badly. On that day, I did what I had to to make them stay.

My memory was hazy from that moment on. All I can remember is that Omari helped me with whatever I did.

"Dakota, hey..." Zack nudged at my shoulder, gaining my attention. I noticed we were walking aimlessly in the halls. "Where exactly are ya taking me?"

"Oh, sorry...I think I blacked out a bit there..." I looked down at the floor, staring at my tennis shoes.

"Pshh, you've gotta be kiddin' me..." His words brought me down a little, but I didn't try to care as much.

"I would be fine with just walking around. You?"

Zack nodded his head. "Yeah, yeah, okay..." He said this, however, by his tone, I wasn't sure if he meant it.

We spent a few minutes in silence. Sighing, I welcomed the silent sound of footfalls once again. I wondered if there was a better way to pass time.

"Hey, Zack, before you got in here, what did you like to do?" I had spent most of my night feeling eager to ask that question, so I felt a sense of relief when I did.

"I loved killin' anyone in my path," Zack talked about this passionately, his eyes widening. I saw his fists clench tighter. "Moreover, I loved seeing their desperate face tremble at the sight of my scythe. Oh man, I miss 'er so much...Those motherfuckers took it after I was arrested,"

"S...Scythe?" I questioned his weapon choice.

"Yeah, yeah. Pretty badass, too,"

"That's...uhm...edgy."

He waved his hand in denial of my comment. I wondered how he could carry something like that.

"Well, if it came to it, I'd like to be armed with a halberd."

"Damn, yer even edgier than me." Zack retorted, making me laugh.

A few seconds passed by. I thought of other questions I could ask him as the ceiling lights flickered. I listened to our footfalls synchronize, harmonizing like a calm beat. Step after step.

"So, Zack, how did you get arrested?" I turned my head at him. He didn't seem to welcome eye contact.

"Mmh, I was tryna' pick up a little someone. But in the midst of it, I got injured and those police bastards caught me b'fore I could run away," I watched Zack's eyes trail over to the ceiling lights, listening into the hums.

"And who is this special someone?"

"None of yer business," Zack came to a halt, staring down at the ground. He turned his head up when he said this: "But, what I can say is that you remind me of her a lot." I noticed a faint smile on his face, but I assumed I was dreaming.

His words threw me over, however not positively or negatively at all. Maybe I was just glad we both reminded ourselves of someone.

As it was silent once again, Zack cut the thick air for me. "Hey, Dakota..."

"Mhm?" I turned to him, patiently waiting for his response.

"Can you...smile for me?"

"Huh...?" I was weirded out by his odd request, but I didn't question why he wanted me to. I did as I was told.

I held my smile, however it faintly went down after Zack cracked his knuckles. He didn't say a word, staring down at the floor, eyes widening.

After a while, he glanced over to one of the security cameras, still silent. My eyes went away from him, awkward about the silence we held.

"God, if I wasn't bein' watched right now..." He finally spoke, raising his head.

"Zack...why did you want me t-"

Soon, an alarm from one of the speakers rang into my ears, interrupting our conversation. It was time for lunch.

"Shit, gotta go! 'Ey, Dakota, you comin'?" Zack, ready to dash away, turned to me.

"No, no. It's okay," I said, impatiently refusing his invite.

"All right then," He hurriedly ran out of my sight, slightly waving goodbye to me. When he turned around the corner, I was left in solitude once again, unanswered.

"God..." I sighed, the wall breaking my fall. I didn't notice I was incredibly nervous until now. Sweaty, I rubbed my palms onto my sweatpants in order to dry them.

I sat around, like it was the same, usual day. However, my day was anything but normal. I kept feeling a discomfort that made my heart pound, more so today than yesterday. I hated it, but I endured it for the time being. I had no idea why I was so nervous, but I was sure it was because of him. Maybe his aura had come to taunt me again.

It wasn't until long I went over to my cell, walking seamlessly through the halls. I stood before the bars and slid the door open, causing the iron to shake.

"Ah..." I could feel my flimsy body shake with it too. I felt like falling to the ground, with my limbs like jello. It was hard to even make it to my bed.

A sudden wave of relief filled me, however I felt bad leaving Zack at the cafeteria. I had orginally asked him to hang out with me, after all. But I let my nervousness overcome my logical thinking.