VI: One Hell of a Brother

As I watched the sun go down, the sound of my cell door opening caught me off guard. Once I turned my head around, I saw Zack, staring at the floor, mumbling something to himself. I was glad to see him, although nervous. I was unsure what to say.

"Hey, Zack, I'm sorry for leaving you back there..." I sat up, removing my pillow from my head.

"It's okay," He muttered. "You still down to hang?"

"Oh?" I was surprised he still wanted to be with me, let alone talk with me. "Yeah, of course..."

"Good," Zack smiled at me. "...'Cause I can't entertain myself,"

I ignored his comment, getting up from my seat. My legs still felt wobbly, but I managed to keep my balance.

"Oh, Zack, I'm sorry, but can we stop by somewhere first?" I remembered what Omari had said. We had to meet in the library.

"Huh?? Sure, whatever..." He turned his back to me, obviously disappointed. I apologized to him the second time.

We walked through the dim halls, eventually making it to the library. I peeked through the window, noticing Omari, reading documents on a brown table.

"Hey, can you stay here for a bit?" I motioned Zack to stay, knowing that Omari would be mad if he saw him.

"Tch...yeah, yeah, sure." He leaned on one of the walls, poking at his bandages. I didn't speak any longer, entering the library.

The smell of fresh paper instantly filled my nostrils, giving me a sense of nostalgia. I liked the feeling of how the blue carpet felt on my shoes. The room was dusty and vacant, however tidy, unlike the prison yard. There, on one of the tables, sat Omari.

"Hey, Omari! I'm here," I waved towards him, grabbing his attention.

"Oh, Dakota! Was wondering when you'd show up, haha..." He gripped at his jacket, unsure of what to say. "You're...here for the thing, right?"

"Uh-huh." I nodded my head.

"Here, sit down and relax. How was your day?" Omari pointed at the seat next to him, occupied with documents. Noticing this, he shuffled the scattered papers around the table, neatly stacking it to make room for me.

"It was..good...!" I admitted, sitting down. "Actually, maybe this day has been the greatest I ever had."

"Oh, is that so?" Omari, lifting his arms onto the table, rested his head onto one of his palms.

"What's all of this you're reading?" I looked over to one of the documents, reading "-ster". Omari snatched the paper away from my sight, not allowing me to read the rest.

"A-Ah, it's nothing! Just a few useless files of people, haha..." He scratched at his jacket, nervous once more.

I looked suspiciously at him, however, I believed him. There would be no reason for him to lie, anyway.

"So...about that plan," Omari lowered his shoulders, erasing his discomfort.

The sliding door opened. "Hey, Dakota...What's takin' ya so long-" My eyes widened at Zack's voice, turning my attention over to the entrance.

"What...the fuck? What are you doing here?!" Omari sat up, glaring at him.

"Shit!" I broke in between them, pushing Zack over to the hall. I turned over to Omari anxiously. "Ah, Omari...this isn't what it looks like..."

"Dakota, I told you not to be around that guy!" Omari scowled, gripping my shoulders with a firm stance.

I snapped at the tone of his voice. I tried to hold my anger inside. "I'm sorry Omari, but I...you're overreacting..."