VIII: Even If It Takes to Kill Someone

My vision was hazy that night. I could feel the moon drip its sustenance for me; watching my lifeless body get dragged along the cement. Me and Zack had escaped through the window, eventually limping over to a camp of survivors. I was saddened at the loss of people at the campsite. Hundreds of lives were lost...

I gripped Zack's hand tightly, almost about to lose my balance. Once the wardens had declared my survival, I fell to the ground, feeling the light grass poke my skin like needles. My eyes weakened. I eventually gave into the darkness.

"Koda...Eyy, Koda," Zack pinched my cheek, allowing me to instantly wake up. I flinched as I hyperventilated, eyes widening.

"Koda? Who..." I was surprised by my sudden nickname. No one had called me Koda before...knowing this, my heart pounded slower. I blinked sleepily, trying to regain my memories.

"Arghh, don't pretend someon' else's named Dakota around here..."

"I'm sorry, it's just...where are we?" I sat up, observing my surroundings. My back ached tremendously, due to the metal bench I was placed upon.

"We got moved somewhere else for the time bein'," He stood up from the bench, then tried to peek through the cell's bars.

As I watched him, past events flashed through my mind: the fire that engulfed the facility, how I escaped with Zack.

"Ah, Zack, my washcloth..." I remembered the time I lended my washcloth to him. I wondered where it ended up. It was special to me, after all.

"Eh? That ol' rag? Don't worry about it." He carefully took it out of his pocket, neatly folded for me. I noticed the blood stains were out of it too.

I was overjoyed when I saw it. Right then and there, I threw up all of my bottled emotions, crying on the spot. I didn't mean to, but I hugged Zack tightly, careful not to press on his wound. I was dumb for hugging him all of a sudden, but I really needed it. I didn't let go, letting my tears dry up on his shirt.

"Hey, what the fuck, Koda??" He was dumbfounded by my sudden behavior. He tried to push me away, however, I didn't blame him. I was pretty surprised myself.

"Ergh, I'm sorry...I don't know what came over me." I sniffed, trying to stop crying. I guess a life or death situation was something to cry for.

"Ugh, whatever. Do you...feel better?" He tried to dry off my tear stains fron his shirt.

"Yes. A lot better..."

"Then...do whatever you want," He awkwardly hugged back, unsure of how to comfort me. I appreciated his gesture as he patted my back.

I felt a bit red, knowing I had dug my face into his shirt. But I shook off my embarrassment, trying to savor the moment.

"Damn, I hate seein' people like you cry..." He pulled my chin up, getting a good look at my face.

Without thinking, I beamed at him, allowing my tears to stream down my cheeks. As I closed my eyes, I felt as if I had smiled genuinely for the first time in forever.

"Ah..." Zack blinked, surprised at my sudden expression. Unlike last time, he didn't act unusual. Instead, he faintly smiled back, delicately holding my cheek.

"Eh?" I tilted my head.

"Nothin'." He let go of me, then leaned on a nearby wall.

A few seconds passed by in silence. I eventually sat down, kicking my feet back and forth to kill time. I wondered how long we had to wait.

"Hey, Zack..." I said, watching his head perk up. "Why did you freeze up back there?"

He sighed. "I don't want to talk about it..."