19. Strong Girls

Juliet

I was determined to show Chris just how mature I could be. If he didn't think we would work, I would give him exactly what he wanted. Even if his words hit me to the core, it wasn't like anything was going on between us... Besides my lonely expectations. It was one hard lesson to learn. Wishing and hoping. Living in a fantasy about a guy who might not feel the same about me. For him, there was much more at stake. He wasn't ready to give up on his marriage... Chris was still in love with Sita. I was jealous and angry. It felt like my heart was breaking. In reality... I would probably get over him. I would love him forever. Be obsessed forever... But I was not going to be that girl... Not that week, anyway.

Since I had introduced Louis to Carl and Charlene. Since her secret was out... The three of us were solid as a rock. The honesty between us had brought us closer together. Bridged that gap that was separating us. Driving to and back from school that week gave us time to fine-tune our plans about going to France. Louis had an estate there... So it was ideal. We could just get on a plane and go.

"My dad would be too glad to know he wouldn't need to see me until next year. Especially if he didn't need to pay... Charlene, do you want to tell your parents? Or are we faking an exchange student thing?" Carl asked.

"I really don't know. This is all still unreal to me. Let me think about it."

"I would have to quit my job or take a leave of absence..." Louis took my hand. "The headmaster is so enamored with your parents that he would do it with a smile," Louis said.

"Your parents, Juliet?"

Louis and I shared a look, and the inside joke was funny. "As long as I'm not the one pregnant, my parents would be fine."

"You would be surprised how desperate parents can get for a little baby in the family." Louis gave me a saucy smile.

"So, you are trying to get into my pants...?" He laughed. "You want to have babies with me?" Louis smiled the broadest smile that I had ever seen. I didn't think it was possible, but he surprised me every time I made him happy.

As Louis pulled into the schoolyard, the headmaster got out of his car. He greeted us and made some polite conversation for a while. It was the perfect opportunity, and Louis told us he would talk to him. As they walked away, Louis glanced back at me. He always made a point of doing it, and I liked that.

"This is really happening...?" Charlene came closer, watching Louis and the principal leaving. "We haven't had any time to talk... Come on, spill."

"I have so much to tell you guys...I don't even know where to start... But first, I have to say that I'm sorry I lied to you. I've been lying about so many things. But from now on, I want to slowly show you guys what's going on in my life."

There were worried glances between Carl and Charlene. "I also lied... for months about my pregnancy... Can we make a clean slate about everything?" Charlene and I turned to Carl, staring him down.

He didn't even have to think about it. "Deal, let's take this time and start sharing more. No judgments or fear that we won't be friends after." I agreed, and we hugged it out. "Broh's before hoes!" We laughed and made our way to class.

***

Next Week Thursday

30 March 2022

The four of us had spent so much time together. Charlene and Carl had been staying at my house. My mom and dad phoned a few times. Louis had a long chat with them, and they decided to not rush back from Canada. It was good for them. They needed the break. That whole week, all we heard at school was that one of our friends was having his birthday on Friday. It was the only thing everyone talked about. I realized that my birthday had to be soon... I had to check my phone to make sure of the date.