6. To Strangers

Juliet

After saying goodbye to Charlene and Carl at the bridge, I quickly ran the rest of the way home. I didn't have my speed ability yet, and I could run like a human person. It made my life easier being a kid in school. I could participate in sports and not worry about joking with regular friends. Hurriedly, I walked into our yard and headed for the back door. I wanted to ask my mom why someone could touch me when I was invisible. I would have to make up some story.

"Mom!? Mom!?" I yelled as I closed the door behind me. I got no reply. Where were they? "Dad! Dad...! Where are you?" Still no reply.

I scanned the house and heard them in the lounge. Slowly, I walked over, hearing an unfamiliar voice. I peeked around the corner. They had all heard me and were looking my way, waiting. My gaze met the unknown face as I came out of hiding. It had been a long time since we had company. My dad hurried over, took me by the hand, and pulled me down the few steps separating the lounge from the rest of the house. I was making my way too slowly for him... But there was an actual person in our house. I was trying not to stare. His strong jawline and prominent chin caught my attention. Dressed to perfection. The dark grey sweater complemented his eyes. Every strand of his hair was styled in place. I had a high standard for guys when it came to looks... But the stranger had pushed them through the roof. I quickly made a decision. Attractive... No... Very attractive! He seemed much older than me but much younger than my parents.

"This is our new neighbor." My mom said, answering my quizzical brow.

I smiled immediately. "Wow, really! That's exciting."

"Yes, he's moving in on Saturday and came to introduce himself."

I bobbed my head... turned to the guy, and stretched out my arm. "Nice to meet you. My name is Juliet Farrow."

He smiled, and it almost reached his ears. He had a big... luscious mouth, prominent lips, and light, icy blue eyes... Made him mysterious. He had my attention. Didn't you just say you were in love with your teacher? I chastised myself. That was an hour ago. The guy had stretched out his hand and clasped mine. He kept smiling. Two large dimples formed on his cheeks. I was fixated. "My name is Louis Du Pont."

I snorted in surprise, coming back to reality. "That's very generic... I don't think that's your real name?"

He smiled again. "Yeah... Unfortunately, it's very dull. But it's real... on my mother's side." I was skeptical and assessing. Vigilant. I had not let go of his hand. I didn't notice while we were talking. He saw that I didn't believe him... "Really, you can ask your parents. They checked with the registry."

"You're a vampire?" My gaze traveled to my mom. She acknowledged by closing her eyes.

"Well then, welcome, Louis. You don't know how happy I am to see a fellow Vampire in our home. You're the first one in... forever."

Surprised, Louis's eyes darted to my dad. "Really? Why?"

My dad shrugged. "We had issues at the compound. Whenever there are so many vampires together, it brings about other problems."

"Mm-hmm, I can understand that. Especially with the young ones." Louis said. I rolled my eyes.

My dad gestured for Louis to sit. "Yes, but we also had some other issues."

I wondered why Louis wasn't moving... I caught a glimpse of our hands and realized I was still holding his. I quickly let go... Sheesh, Juliet! Overeager much. It didn't seem to bother him, and he sat on a wingback chair across from my dad. He could have laughed at me... It was as if nothing had happened. My mom wiggled her eyebrows at me... My lips were in an upside-down smile, expressing my embarrassment. My mom shook her head and pulled me into a hug. We went to sit on the couch opposite them. I leaned over and whispered, "Something happened at school today."