181. Meeting In The Middle

Michael

The pods were comfortable. Had enough space for my long legs. For two days, I had been alone in the dark... In a ball, traveling down a tunnel, stopping every few hours. Juliet and Charlene weren't far behind me. I waited every time with the guards to make sure they arrived safely. When I traveled us out. I had not thought of the consequences of bringing Juliet with me, thinking that I could just teleport us back.

Neither did I think I would meet a man who could help me with all my problems. Every time we stopped, I tried to go back to En-gannim. To Earth. To anywhere. I had tried so many times that night and the morning before we left. Nothing seemed to push me enough to make the jump. If Charlene could do it. Why couldn't I? Romero's voodoo should've worked out by then. I was getting nervous. What if we were stuck there? I would probably get another beating for putting Juliet in danger. Marcus would miss the birth of his baby and the pregnancy. All of my tantrums would have been for nothing. Louis had definitely taken charge of her care. We were done with the honeymoon phase in all our relationships. Everyone had their chance to leave. And everyone had proven themselves... but me.

I thought back on her the first night we were there. She had drunk too much. When we were in the room. She was all over me, trying to get me in bed. I just couldn't after Romero's speech. I also couldn't remember the last time we had sex. And when I did, it curbed me even further to wait. We were about to sleep together when Chris was on that thing. I should have known that night something was off. Juliet's mind wasn't there, and I didn't care. Kubra came in and interrupted us just before I would have made another mistake. She even told me that she didn't want to. Juliet had all that to deal with and still would've let me have my way with her.

She had not said much to me after our fight in her room. I had asked her not to push, and she wasn't. However, I felt a stab in my side each time I looked at her. She was stiff around the shoulders. I had driven her away for the wrong reasons. I couldn't even give her a proper intimate connection. It was all lust and sex.

The first night we stopped and the pods were done, I felt I would go crazy if I didn't say something to her besides the words "I love you." The servants had traveled before us and set up camp by the time we arrived. Each couple had a tent. Their soldiers circled around us. Yazen and Imani were already there, waiting for us. It was strange to see no fires. Smell no meat grilling. The food packed for the last few days had been cooked or baked. I needed to eat. Charlene needed to eat.

"How about I go find us something? Will I find something?" I asked Romero.

"Yes, I am sure there will be all sorts of beasts out there."

I stuck my hand out to Juliet to see if she would go with me. There was a slight hesitation. Her glance at Romero wasn't lost on me. He slightly bobbed his head. She was asking some stranger if he thought it was a good idea. It sent a dull ache of pain into my bones. That this was what our relationship had come to. No trust. No communication. No freedom for her to love me like she wanted. It made all those bottled-up emotions feel like they wanted to erupt. I knew I was holding back, keeping everything in the dark where my insecurities were safe. She placed her hand in mine. I picked her up, and we traveled out. I tried to stay in a circle and not go too far at one time. Only to the horizon and back to a central location like Chris had taught me.

Juliet pointed. "I want that!"

I left her and killed as many as possible, dropping them at her feet. When I got back with the last one, she had sunk her teeth into its flesh. I sat down and did the same. We were sharing a meal. It struck a chord, and a small smile played at the corner of my mouth. It soon disappeared. I remembered why I asked her to come in the first place. I had to say something... "I am... sorry about Chris. I'm sorry I lied to you. There is more I lied about... but I'll tell you later."