53. Cool Down

Louis

The first night we returned after the embassy meeting, we were all tired. It was a stressful situation, but we knew more than ever before. It was an information dump of what was really going on with our two races and why we were on Earth. Raas refused to talk about Chris. The watchers had brought us back via the teleporter. Juliet headed straight for my room. I was happy that she didn't even ask. I was right behind her. A few moments later, there was a knock at the door. Chris was standing in the doorway. His thoughts were a nervous mess, but I followed what he wanted. I called him over. He jumped into bed with us, grabbing Juliet and pulling her into him. She smiled, holding me in front of her. She thanked me, and we fell asleep immediately. I didn't think Marcus would join us, and he didn't. Chris had been in our bed for five months. It was draining. But I had to leave it. Their morning routine of her and Marcus reading and Chris on his phone at her feet was fine with me. I helped in the kitchen and reviewed the plans to start building Charlene's house. Kept myself busy planning and organizing.

***

Chris had slept with us till the previous night... Until the day Juliet had her setback. That morning, when she opened her eyes, she turned into me, playing with the chain on her neck. We were alone for the first time in months. Not like she had not tried. I had pushed her away, and it was killing us. "It wasn't Chris talking to Sita... It was Marcus." Her eyes slowly met mine. I flicked her forehead. Defeated, her eyes closed. One thing about Juliet's mind was... She was more judgmental about herself than she was about others. I felt immediately guilty kissing her. "Really?"

"Yeah... You're kind of going nuts on us."

She nodded and turned onto her back, pressing fingers into her eye sockets. "I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Since that time, I changed into whatever I did when you woke up... I haven't been myself. I feel myself getting worse every day. The smallest things set me off crying, or I'm so angry I can kill someone... The hormones aren't helping." She sat up, pulling the skin on her shoulder to see how far the leathery patch had grown. Juliet wore only a very loose tank top that hung low over her breasts. When she lifted her arm, the rounding of her side boob peeked out. It was the same one Charlene had put on her that first night we were all together. She pulled me forward, inspecting my shoulder. My mind was already down another path, focusing on the soft skin running from her neck into her top. She gasped and ran her finger over the small, leathery spot on my bare shoulder. My first lesion had appeared where hers was... A small one, but it was there. Juliet's jaw flexed, clenching her teeth as I tried to kiss away her thoughts. "Don't," I begged.

"What? Be so hard on myself? Look at what I'm doing to you! To Chris and Marcus. This is a big stuff up... Everything." I frowned. She meant all of this... All of us. Doubt was clouding her thoughts. The last thing we needed was a depressed Juliet. I pulled her down onto her back and got on top of her. I had left her alone for many reasons. It didn't mean it didn't hurt. "It's been so long. Do you still remember what to do?" She joked.

"I'll follow your lead." She giggled, opening her lips for me.

A knock at the door halted me, and I groaned into her neck. "Chris?"

"Yeah, it's me... Marcus is also here." I rolled off her.

"Come in..." If this was going to blow up... That day would be as good as any. Juliet kept nervously playing with the sheet around her waist and then my chain hanging around her neck.

"I'm sorry...." She whispered.

Chris came over and pulled her to her feet and into his arms. Marcus was painfully aware of what she had on. "You get more possessive over him, Juliet... Every time you guys sleep together... And you've only been sleeping with him." I complained.