144. Soren

Chris

It had been a week since Zoreah. The four of us were in the lounge in France. Juliet was with her parents and spending time with Caleb. We were taking some time to talk things through.

"Now that we're sitting here. I don't really have anything to say." My head rested back on the couch.

"Do you all agree that we live here?" Louis asked.

No one said anything...

"Well, now is the time to speak...." I ventured. "Or should we make this a regular thing?"

The atmosphere in the room felt a little weird... Like the four of us were uncomfortable together. Sussing out the situation. When I was with Juliet, it didn't matter. Even when Marcus and I were together, there was camaraderie. But Louis and I had never clicked like I did with Jamal or Selena. I probably would never feel like that towards Michael either.

Marcus got a text. He ran his hand over his mouth. "Juliet says she wants to give me a baby."

"I think it's too soon," Michael said too quickly.

"Let's first talk about our own lives. What we all see for the future... for ourselves." Louis suggested. "If Juliet was not in the picture."

I sat back and stared at the roof, contemplating... What did I want to do with my life?

"It's going to be so boring from here on out," Marcus said. "We can't be cooped up here all day long. Juliet wants to change En-gannim... but I never wanted to rule. Do you want to, Michael? Take over Palmyra and play king?"

There was no way I was going to rule on Zoreah. Would I stay on Earth? Beatrice's words echoed in my mind... "Maybe Chris doesn't even want to stay." I liked being a protector. Fighting. I wouldn't mind going up the ranks to general and going on campaigns... with Juliet... I smiled.

My head came down, and the others were watching me.

"Seems like one of has it all figured out," Michael said.

"Fine, if no one wants to talk... I'll talk. I had the most time by myself... so maybe that has something to do with it... I'm sorry, Louis, but I don't think we will ever get along." He grinned.

"I want to be a general. Take armies into battle... I want a house for Juliet and me. But away from you all. I could maybe live with Marcus. But it's not to say he wants to... Selena and Jamal would probably always be with me or go back to Zoreah... I don't know. I'm just talking... Nothing I can't change my mind about... Seeing that Marcus gets the first baby... that would mean... that they have to stay alone... so we're sure.... Don't really want to leave it up to chance... I might just get number three as well... So Michael, why is it too soon?"

"Of course to me, her health is the most important... She will live so long does she really have to give us all a baby in the next ten years... We have to think long-term. Marcus and Louis will die first... You and all the kids at once... I will be left alone... with whoever is left. If we don't live together, Chris... We can't really call it a family."

Marcus and I shared a glance. Mutual understanding of figuring out where Michael fit into it all.

"Chris, I... have no idea how to handle Juliet... I have a lot of catching up to do. Figuring out emotions, and I don't want to split up. I like the people... It might not seem like it... but I was alone for so long that for Louis and me, this is like heaven... It's always busy, and she is always happy when we're all here... You and Louis were fine before you left... What changed?" Marcus asked.

"I'm jealous," I said.

They all laughed.

"I think we're all jealous... Not only of Louis but of something...." Michael said.