193. Deals

Michael

Selena and I sat patiently waiting while Caleb had gone for the book Louis needed and was now back pacing in front of us. Marcus had already decided for us, but the boy wanted his mother's approval. "We can't wait any longer," Selena said. Caleb stopped walking around and sighed heavily. The three of us came out in that field, hoping we would catch the three talking. It was empty. Louis, Chris and Juliet weren't there. When Chris had come back through the door, his features were constricted. I knew that face. He did something stupid. There was just no time to find out the gossip of the day.

I longed to wrap Juliet up in my arms. I had been so angry at her for not giving me time. At that moment, I was mad at myself for not embracing what we did have and how much I had wasted because of pride. I could've been there for her more than I had been. Juliet's words kept going around in my mind. "It's because I respected you more than any of them. I always had." I had broken that trust she had in me, and that was why she was either with Louis or Chris. I would have to wait even longer to have her because I had to prove my submission to the timing of the family. It felt like I wanted to burst, and the only thing I could do was fight to get the lust out of my system. The sex had never bothered me before I changed. I had been in the army for so long that it had become second nature to channel it... somewhere. At that point, it was almost all I thought about.

The three of us traveled to Romero's home, no... Charlene's home and came out to the spot Jessy had created. They were gone, and the tented area lay barren. Romero and his people had cleaned up the campsite where Juliet was attacked, and it was as if they were never there and nothing ever happened. The bodies were buried in what could only be a mass grave. We didn't have to walk from the bandit's tents to the valley. Caleb's teleporting was good. Selena kept up with me on every travel.

We were on that ledge before I could register how fast everything was moving. When you had two teleporters with you, it changed the dynamics of any mission. It was late into the night by the time we got there. Caleb looked from me to Selena. We were so quiet, making sure Iku would not catch us, and we gave all our cues with hand signals. Caleb disappeared after I gave him the order. Selena and I ducked down behind the rocks. The shadow was moving about, patrolling and listening for any sound. We figured that he had to be done for the night because no more beasts were coming and trying their luck with the shadow. Selena's breathing was deep. Anxieties were high because we couldn't see the boy. Only knew he was somewhere down there alone. Caleb would have to wait to catch Iku off guard or until the guy was still for a second too long, which didn't seem to be going to happen. I grabbed at the rocks in front of me, ready to teleport to his side if he needed help. I wanted to jump up when Caleb came back from his vanished state. He had assessed the situation and saw what I saw. "What is he doing?" Selena pulled me back down.

"Hey! Iku!" Caleb yelled behind the shadow towering over him. Iku was fast over the water. The ground shook until he was in Caleb's face, speaking in loud tones in that foreign language. Caleb waited and said nothing. What was he thinking? The boy needed a beating. I shuddered at the thought. Caleb would probably never be hooked to that pole.

The shadow circled him and glanced all around until it stopped moving. Iku transformed into his human face. Caleb was fast and teleported behind him, slicing him across the back. The man spun around. The faint red glow of the small switchblade glistened in the moonlight. Iku faltered forward and tried to grab onto Caleb with unsteady hands. The boy took only a tiny step back, disappeared, and was next to me in a second. We waited to see what Iku would do and if the blades would even work on him. Iku's hand reached for his back, and he looked at the blood on his fingers. He was trying to manifest but couldn't. He stumbled forward to the entrance of the cave. Selena didn't hesitate and teleported down. She pointed the gun. The man protested. "Don't, please. They need me."