78. New People

Charlene

I don't think I slept at all the first night I was alone. The following day, when the sun was far out in the sky, I dared to open my front door. Scared of someone coming out of the bushes or a creature attacking me. I was such a coward. Like a door could stop any of them. One thing of Juliet's that I didn't have was her courage. It must be a creature thing. Even that day at the cages, I was so scared. She just lifted her hands and fought. Earlier that morning, I got a text... Anonymous said that I was still being watched. Strangely, it helped. And when it was light, I wasn't that scared. I packed up all our stuff and moved to the main house. Being in Louis's room would make me feel better. I needed to be with Katty anyway. I didn't want to be down there. Even if the whole house was boarded up. It was only, so I didn't have to do it... If I ever decided to leave.

I also wanted to be near a car. Katty and I were playing with Miné. She would need to see a vet soon. There was so much to do. I kept watching my phone for any news, but nothing. I couldn't wait around forever for this "hang tight" that came out of nowhere. So, after another night alone, I packed up everything I needed and started to load the car. The battery was flat, and it needed a jump. All I had was a portable pack that Louis had. What did I know about jumping a car... nothing?

I watched Marcus on TV. Day after day. Resolved to hit the road. I was in the garage watching all kinds of videos on how to jump a car. Louis's A-Z was lacking. In the end, I think I got it. All I needed was to wait ten minutes. So I had Miné in my arms, just looking down the lane, waiting. I saw the familiar black clothes. I was used to white with the other watchers. Kubra never wore white. He was in a hurry and didn't even glance at the main house. He was banging hard on the door, calling for me. What was he doing? Edgy and nervous, he came back into the street with hands on his hips, thinking.

"Hey!" I thought I should say something. Hearing me, his hands fell. Shoulders dropped a little, eyes closing. I was just glad it wasn't his father. I've heard of his dad and him dressing the same. Slowly, he walked up to the garage, skeptically eyeing the packed car.

"You going somewhere?"

"As you can see. I'm all alone." His eyebrows raised. "I can't stay here."

His eyes drifted to the car's open bonnet, and he slowly moved around to the front, pressing his lips together. His nostrils flaring. I followed his gaze and could see nothing wrong. He unclamped the two colors and switched them. There was a buzz from the battery. I groaned. I sighed dramatically, rubbing my already red eyes. "Thanks."

"So, where are you going?"

"Paris for now... I need to be somewhere closer to shops... I can't be out here all alone with a baby."

"Marcus and I heard from Carl about...Ben." His eyes cast down. "I'm sorry."

"It's better this way. At least I know what I'm dealing with." I yawned, covering my mouth.

Kubra's eyes scrutinized me. "Are you almost done? Is there something I can help you with?"

"No, I would let the car run for about ten minutes... While I locked up and then hit the road."

"I'll do that. You get Miné settled and get in the back with her. I'll do the first drive."

***

Kubra

Charlene seemed confused. "I don't think you should do this alone, Charlene. Juliet would never forgive me if something happened to you. Marcus asked me specifically. You'll have to drive all the way to Paris... You really want to do that alone?"

I wasn't going to confess right there. I had just been waiting for an opportunity to play the hero. Or that I was watching her. She shook her head. Opened the door and strapped Miné in her baby seat. With a bounce in my step, finishing up took me less than five minutes. She allowed me to stay. I couldn't believe it.