173. Royalty

Charlene

I woke up when the light stones planted along the wall became more frequent, flashing every time we passed. We had to be close. "Miné, wake up."

"Are we there?"

"Almost. See the lights?"

She pushed her body into me. "What will make us stop?"

We laughed nervously when we saw the net. The ball was not going to slow down, and I wished those hooks would hold. It was jerky, but it all worked out. We didn't even move out of the basket that was sunk into the bottom of the ball. A slight pressure with my foot was enough to hold Miné and me back.

Imani and Yazen were waiting on the platform. Yazen took Miné from me first and handed her to his wife. He helped me out. We moved quickly out from the landing. The guards closed the doors, and we could breathe easier.

"Who are you?" Imani tapped Miné on her nose.

"I'm a princess." They both laughed. "My name is Miné."

"It is good to meet you."

"And you sure are a princess now."

They both looked at me. Neither of them had expected me to have a child. I felt guilty all over again. For the first time, I thought about my own parents. I would never see them again. I had not even said goodbye. It felt strange that they didn't even know they had a granddaughter.

Yazen gripped my upper shoulders. "Charlene..." He kissed both my cheeks. It seemed like he wanted to cry. His features were full of emotion. "You are my daughter now. And I am so happy that Romero had chosen. We had lost faith that he would ever experience love."

"You don't mind about my other branding? And..." I gestured to Imani.

"No! Just because it works one way here doesn't mean it would not be different on other planets... I hope you understand why we did not say everything we should have." I rubbed his arm.

"I'm a Werewolf," Miné said softly. Yazen's eyes went from Miné to my neck. He smiled. It seemed that I was the queen of the Werewolves now. There were still many questions Romero was going to have to answer. If Michael and I were the same species... Where did we fit into all of it?

"Seems like you will be queen one day." Imani tapped Miné on the nose again. She liked it. Imani tickled her. She squirmed in her arms but laughed. "I'm your grandmother now. Would you like that?" Miné nodded.

"How long will we wait for Romero?"

"Let us go up those stairs. He will know where to find us... You will want to get clean. He will not be too long. You would have felt the separation."

I was desperate for water. I was glad I had packed a bag. Mine had asked for something a few times while we traveled. Didn't want to give her too much. Just a sip here and there. We didn't stop once. Wondered how they managed their toiletries in those balls.

I had not had anything to eat for a few days. It was strange that I could go so long without eating at all. It did make me more irritated. "I need to eat," I said when we started climbing the stairs.

"How are your manifestations?"

"Romero and I almost died... so many times. I didn't really have a choice. My instincts kicked in. I feel like I can rule the universe with so much power."

"We will help you. Do not worry. You will settle because you can not go anywhere."

I was glad to be back in their village. The opening from the tunnels was in the building where the library was... And the source of their water. Miné and I almost ran to the fountain. Imani grabbed Miné, and Yazen held me back. One of the servants there brought us each a cup and filled it. Miné and I looked at each other and giggled while we drank. Our earth ways wouldn't work there. Romero had let a lot of my behavior slide. Imani and the servant helped us relieve ourselves. We heard the running up the stairs. The door flung open. Romero stood with his chest rising and falling. I thought he would come to me. He ran for the fountain and dunked his head in, drinking hands full. He lifted up and rubbed over his face. "One thing I hate about those tunnels is all the dust." Romero ran his hands over his hair and tied it into a wet afro bun on his head.