85. Louis Gets Promoted

Louis

After Juliet was taken from the bookstore, I sat for the longest time. Soren across from me, both of us staring at the roof. Not knowing what was happening was the worst. Going there and making a scene and getting arrested wouldn't help anyone. I had to keep it together. Juliet's words kept going over and over in my mind. "If you don't know what to do. Just don't do anything at all. Okay"

Okay, baby! I felt like a coward. How could she call me her husband if I could not protect her? Being there with her was supposed to be Marcus's job. I couldn't count on him. Well, it was his test anyway. "How can you live like this? I know Juliet is worth it... But why did you come back?"

"I don't know? Right now, Soren, I just don't know. She doesn't want to leave... She doesn't want to give up."

It felt like I sat there for hours. Liam came in through the back door, sat next to me, and gave me a cigarette. "Soren called me." I took it and lit it, wondering when Juliet would be able to get away again. How long would we be able to go on like that? We had four epic days. The four of us got drunk. Played games and watched TV like the old times. Liam was a fun guy. Cindy was hilarious. They were so liberal that anything could go on, and they would not bat an eye except when it came to Juliet. She was the one thing that made them pull out their... Own moral laws... Against the world.

"We talked about this, Louis. She's fine. You prepared her for this. Didn't you split her lip? Gave her a few punches in the stomach. Juliet is smart. She won't push it too far."

"Yes, but I don't like that guy that keeps flashing in her mind. The nightmares she has... I think you should stay there tonight."

"Yeah, sure. Come, let's go. I'll even take Cindy." I sighed in relief.

Soren was sitting across from us, wringing his hands, worried. I didn't have the energy to read him at all. I really didn't care what went on in his mind. But... "I'll tell you everything soon, Soren." He nodded and shook my hand. "And don't feel guilty. She would've done that for anyone. Literally anyone."

"Well, maybe not anyone," Liam added. I shook my head. She also lived according to her own moral law. Daddy's little girl.

***

I was waiting at the house to hear from Liam. I wasn't expecting them back, but they were. "What's going on?" Why are you guys home? You were gone for an hour? I thought you were staying."

"They wouldn't let us see her. Said because she misbehaved, she was sleeping off her... beating."

"F-! I knew it."

***

We sat around the table, going through every possible scenario. Getting shot was all we came up with. It wouldn't help. Drinking was our second option. I had passed out at the dining room table somewhere along the night. Woken by a loud banging on the door. Groaning, I got up. Liam and Cindy were in their room. I was instantly sober. Scared and worried about what might have happened. Opening the door with trepidation, the guard didn't give me a chance to speak or read him. "You three have to come with me." There wasn't much to say. If he would take me in any direction that brought me closer to Juliet. Where else would he take me? I hoped... Maybe she killed him and was in jail. Best case scenario.

When we got in the car, the driver's mind flooded with flashes of what had happened. A relieved sob escaped me. I grabbed Cindy's hand. It was a mess. Gruesome. "She's okay. Marcus is back."

We were all so relieved. "What happened?" Liam asked the guard, driving.

"The guards at Marcus's house misbehaved." Was all he said.