45. Get Set, Go!

Juliet

"Then you have to tell him, Julie. So he stops wasting his time... What do you know about a guy's hotness anyway! You haven't even manifested. When is that going to happen, do you think?" My dad teased, also biting into an apple.

"I have never dumped a guy... I'm still young... Maybe it's time."

I ignored his jab at my vampire-less state. Starting to kill people wasn't something I was looking forward to.

"All seriousness, Julie, why don't you first go and see how it is. I haven't seen Qadir in hundreds of years, and I don't think I ever want to, but if you really love Marcus, I will make the sacrifice."

My mom and I laughed lightly. "No, I have not thought of him in that way. But I will now... Let's see how it goes...."

My mom and dad seemed happy and a little too eager. "A little advice," my mom came closer and whispered into my ear. "If you can think about kissing him, it's a good sign."

"Mom... This is bad parenting." I yelled, leaving the kitchen when she kissed my dad.

The seed was planted. Kissing Marcus was my next goal.

But I might have thought differently if I had known that one kiss would bring about the worst days of my short life.

***

The next time Marcus knocked on the door, I received him without my veil. Hair long, braided in a flattering way, hanging across my chest. Just a little bit of make-up. He had never seen me before, and he visibly jolted. Marcus's face was always an inscrutable mask. So, seeing his change from utter astonishment to a genuine smile was rewarding. My stomach flipped and reacted funnily. It was the first time I felt anything sexual. I smiled and pulled him into the house. "Come, I need to show you something. Don't worry. You won't turn to stone... Am I that ugly?"

Marcus's gaze was darting around nervously. "What are you doing? Where is your father? You can't just do what you want, you know!"

"You going to point a finger at me?"

I turned around and pushed my latest project into his hands. But he wasn't listening to me... Marcus just kept staring at me... for the longest time. His eyes took in my hair and slowly met mine. Strangely, I felt very exposed without the veil. His eyes dropped to my lips. He swallowed and let his eyes drift further down my bare neck. I smiled radiantly when he came back to my eyes. My eyes darted at his hands and up at his face. I did it a few more times. He didn't want to budge. I stood up and down on my toes a few times to get him to lose focus. "Come on, Marcus... look at it."

He shook his head and immediately started laughing when he peeked down. "What is this? Did you try to knit something?"

"I did. What do you think?" He just kept laughing. My mom and dad came around the corner. Hopeful and peeking at the two of us. He seemed to be just as natural around them. They were relieved that he didn't suddenly change into a monster about etiquette.

They all had a good laugh at my expense. My attempt to knit a scarf had not gone so well. Later, my dad took Marcus outside to have a beer. Shoeing me away.

***

Marcus

"So Marcus, it's time we speak man to man." I sat up. I knew it was coming. I was ready to plead my case.

"You know I can't leave the compound... Juliet will never be happy here... Over the years, I have given you some background into our race. Things your father conveniently didn't tell you... If you brand her, she will be under your protection! You can allow us all to leave. So I know this is a lot of pressure, but I see how you are around her. Things have changed...."