47. Cowards Versus Heroes

Juliet

Early the following morning, I made my escape. There was no other way. Luckily, both my parents had been drinking for three days straight. I walked past the dining room table, seeing the papers they signed for exile. I could not understand why they were so against it. If it was that easy, what was the problem? I tried to read it, but some of the writings were different. It seemed that there was more I wasn't made aware of.

At least killing yourself was the same for anything in this world. Bleed out... be somewhere no one can find you so they can't save you. It was as simple as taking a pocket knife.

What I didn't take into account was, Kubra. He wasn't a stupid man, and I didn't even know he was watching the house. It took me twenty minutes to walk through the wilderness to the gorge.

***

Marcus

Lucius turned to me, staring at the car. "You will not go anywhere near her. She is mine now. Do you understand, Marcus?"

I could probably fight and win if I challenged him. But if I didn't.

"She is now a part of our house and our property." He kept going.

"You can't touch her for another year. She is too young."

Lucius scoffed. "I have four wives to keep me busy. Juliet will love watching and learning what I like. I know the rules. The pregnancy needs to be viable... I have nothing but time."

There was an instant knot of fear in my belly. Every muscle twitched to do something stupid, just like Juliet had done. I needed to protect her. But the branding that Liam had told me about seemed unnatural. I had never heard of it before. It had never been done. I didn't even fully comprehend the meaning of what he wanted me to do.

I either let a fifteen-year-old girl go into that house or take her and run. Or I trust her father, who wanted me to burn her like a stock animal... And set her free. Why would Qadir leave us alone after? My mind didn't want to go there. If I didn't understand it. How will she when I force her to take it?

I left the hall that day and started drinking. All I could see was his hands all over her. How she would fight, and what limbs she would lose. I didn't stop drinking.

***

"Marcus! Marcus! Wake up!"

I could feel a hand on my shoulder, shaking me to open my eyes. I had passed out at the dining room table. My neck was stiff when I sat up. I rubbed at it. "What!"

"It's Juliet. She's making a run for the gorge." My heart leaped out of my chest. I jumped up and into the car that was already running outside. It was a ten-minute drive. We had to run up and down to find her when we got there. She had been hiding in a bush.

The figure in the distance that walked out was aiming for the cliff. I could smell the blood. She had cut her wrists. The red covered her hands, dripping as she ran. Kubra took out his gun and shot her in the leg. I did not even have to tell him to do something. I was in no condition to make it to her. She was too far away. Juliet tumbled into the dirt, turning around on her back, sobbing.

"Tourniquet her leg," I told Kubra. I wanted to wrap her arms, but the bleeding had stopped already. I looked up at her. Juliet's face had changed. She had manifested for the first time. "Boy, but you're ugly as a vampire. Look at that nose, Kubra." He laughed at her. She stopped crying, feeling her face. Lifting her arms into the air seeing the dry slits down her arms. The black nails.

"What the hell? Why did I stop bleeding?"

I shrugged, "Does it matter!"

"Why are you in such a tiff. I'm the one that should be angry. You didn't come around for three days."