30. Hierarchy Established Pt 2

Chris

Juliet gripping onto me wasn't lost on all who were there, especially Marcus. He had no idea what was going on. Neither did I.

"Who are you?" He asked eventually after staring at my shirt, pulling tight around me.

So, how did you address the husband of the girl clinging to you for her life? The man that had made Nicholas so anxious that he would send me in there. Make Francis and Jack swear to do all in their power to stop him from laying a finger on her.

"It doesn't really matter. All that matters is what Juliet wants... Juliet needs... and Juliet deserves." He turned around, away from me. That last statement hurt him. Even with his cold features, his emotions betrayed him. "Where is Louis? I need him." I said to get the ball rolling.

"He's safe...." Marcus pointed to the big round steel door, trying to contain his own emotions. "But Juliet promised me a... conversation... I need to talk to her... alone." I could barely hear him. A frenzy ensued, and he lifted a hand. Every vampire bowed, but the werewolves snarled. The situation was weird... There was respect but not loyalty.

I took in a breath and turned to face the terrified person behind me.

"Juliet, do you want to? It doesn't matter what you said to get here. But what do you want to do right now? We could take Louis back, or you can sit down for... I turned to Marcus... Five minutes."

Juliet's head jerked up. She was expecting me to say something else. When I didn't... Her sweet smile fell off her mouth, and she shrugged. Disappointed. I had to do all I could... Not to pull her lips onto mine. It felt like that was all I had to do to make everything better for her.

But I couldn't, and I didn't.

He watched our interchange as confused as I was. I lead Juliet to the couches. Checked my watch and reminded Marcus he had a time limit to the access he was getting to my... What was Juliet to me...? Friend? I shuddered at the thought.

He tried to negotiate. It must have been something in the way I held my hand that made him sit down. It took a whole minute. Then he did something that I would never have thought was even something people did to apologize. Marcus went down on his knees in front of Juliet. The room became animated as everyone had an opinion. Marcus lifted his hand, silencing the onlookers. He bowed down even lower and kowtowed before her. Juliet jumped up. "Get up, Marcus! I would never expect anyone to do that." She yelled. When he came up, his face was contorted in pain... Desperation and need. Sitting back onto his feet. His hand on his heart. "Juliet, my obsession with you... It will never go away." I felt Juliet's face turn to me, giving away her own obsession. I just couldn't look back up at her. Slight creases formed between his brows. For a second, he struggled because she was looking at me and not at him. "I didn't do anything really that bad." He said to get her attention. She turned to him and wanted to say something. He cut her off. "If I didn't do it. It would have been worse for you." That silenced her. I heard her breathing change. He was getting to her.

"It means nothing... I might be tied to you for life, but it doesn't mean that I can't put another mark on top of this one." The murmurs continued.

Marcus jumped up, stepping closer to her. "No Juliet..." He whispered pleadingly. "How can you say that? Don't you understand..." He lowered his voice even more. "Do you still not understand what happened that morning. I had no choice... I did it because I love you... I didn't consummate or hurt you like that... But you were going to be someone's wife... What I did protected you... even if you take fifty lovers." His gaze was fixed on me, forcing me to say something.

"I haven't laid a finger on her. Don't look at me." I lifted my hands into the air... "Burn Juliet like a cow... Never!" There were more murmurs.

Juliet's lip started quivering. Marcus was visibly relieved. He got the information he wanted. He wanted to know if we had consummated... this and if this was serious.