4. They Meet

Chris

After calling the girl the second time, I was joking with my friend about something he had said in the break room. I wasn't focused and didn't notice who walked up to us. He pointed towards the aisle. "Here she is." I was a little ticked off that I had to go all the way there and run after her, entirely forgetting we were in her debt. I swung my shoulder in the direction he was pointing. Nothing could've prepared me for being so close to the... Not a girl, but a woman, standing in front of me. Almost as tall as me. It was her... I stared and speechlessly followed as she walked out the door, glad someone was using their brain.

She kept going, and I tried to think of something to say. Talking to her about money seemed like the last thing I should do. I don't know how long we stood there, me staring at her pretty lips, her avoiding my eyes. It seemed like she had to muster up some courage before lifting her head. She finally did, and my breath caught as our eyes locked like magnets, searching, clinging. Her icy blue eyes pulled me in as if being close to each other was normal. An arm's length away. Her scent had become so familiar. I wanted to remember that moment forever. I probably will. I tried to speak, but everything seemed trivial. I didn't want to sound like a teacher... Or even worse, an elder speaking to a young person. Damn, was I that old that I couldn't talk to the opposite sex anymore? Nervously, I uttered, "Juliet?" That made her smile. Little mischievous lines formed from her nose to the corners of her mouth. She shouldn't have done that. It took all my willpower not to fall at her feet, begging her to be mine. The vision of me in the dirt in front of her didn't bother me. After Sita, I felt I would never beg anyone to love me again. Juliet... I rolled the name around. Might make me.

I was hoping for some reprieve and clenched my fist around the paper. Feeling it crinkle distracted me for a moment. I looked at it again, repeating her name slowly... "Juliet Farrow?" My eyes lifted to ensure I needed to ask my girl for money. Repeating her name a second time made the corners of her mouth lift again. I felt stupid just speaking. Red blotches caught my attention, spreading across her chest and neck. She was blushing. I was not the only one feeling stupid. Our meeting was embarrassing her. The red kept moving deep into her cheeks.

Frowning, I couldn't understand the girl. Why would she be embarrassed? She folded her arms over her chest. I smiled and chuckled. Embarrassed but still tried to keep face. Her jaw flexed, gritting her teeth. I didn't want to embarrass her. I wanted to tell her how beautiful she was and that it didn't matter... It didn't look stupid or childish. It made her whole face light up. She was cute, biting her bottom lip between her teeth. The gesture fixed my eyes in place. My thoughts moved from kneeling in front of her to kissing her. The image of me dragging her mouth onto mine made me glance away, clearing my throat. Talking about money was better than lusting, I supposed.

"Juliet, I know we don't know each other at all, and you haven't had any classes with me, but I have to talk to you about something." She said nothing. I continued, "I oversee the final sports gathering at the end of the term. With that came the responsibility of asking someone for help. A sponsorship...To make the school aesthetics a little better. A lot of schools are coming to participate."

It was like she wasn't listening to me. So, I kept going...

"The bleacher on the upper field needs a do-over or even replacement. I hoped you could talk to your dad and get him to help."

After my speech, I felt horrible. That was not how I imagined our first meeting going. Juliet's eyes shot up when my words sunk in. Her arms dropped spontaneously. I couldn't discern what was written on her face, but she seemed to relax as a heavy breath let her shoulders fall even more. "So, you wanted to talk to me about money?" She bobbed her head, answering her own question. She drew in an overdue breath. "I can ask him... My dad. I think he will help."