176. La Bohème

Romero

"Where are we?" Juliet asked when she stretched out her arm towards the man with her. Charlene slapped his hand away, manifested, and easily pulled Juliet up, sending her high off the ground.

Juliet squealed and giggled. "Noice." "I must say it will take a while to get used to all you are."

"Yeah? Try being... that." The man mumbled. He was the Ittoqure. The markings covering him from head to toe didn't bother me. His size was a concern. If he was that big human... What bothered me more was his attitude.

Charlene and Juliet arched an eyebrow, feeling my concern. "Seems like you're having problems? Well, you've come to the right place." Charlene turned and pointed a hand at me. "Michael, Romero. Romero, Michael."

The man walked over, stretching out his hand towards me. I glanced down and back up at him. Miné had done the same thing. The corner of his mouth quirked. He held out his hand to Charlene. They clasped hands and shook. Michael tried again. I would have to learn their customs if I wanted to understand them. "Tighter. Firmer." Michael prompted. He closed his fingers around my palm. I reciprocated. "Yeah. Just like that."

"Interesting," I remembered my father greeting Charlene in that way.

"Come on, Michael, let's race and see who can do it the fastest."

Michael rolled his eyes. "Is this what my life has become."

"Please... Please." Charlene put her hands together and moved them up and down.

"Fine," Michael said.

It was strange. The most powerful man in the universe was indulging a child. Maybe there was hope for us yet. Juliet came to stand next to me and slightly moved in half behind my person. She seemed worried about something. It dawned on me. I had forgotten that she was pregnant. I stretched out my arm, took one step back, and pushed her with me. Then, the idea I have been entertaining hit me again. Charlene might be pregnant already. Only the thought of a child, our child, brought up more feelings I did not know what to do with. Nerves. Excitement... They went at it, changing from a Riphath to a Werewolf to a Vampire and back again. It was too hard to take in his fully grown Riphath form. They did it a few times. Charlene was slow. "Man, how do you do it? I'm at least three behind you." She complained.

He shrugged. "You're lazy." It was what I was thinking. Charlene was lazy... because she was there with me and had nothing to fight for. It would be hard to rouse her to do anything. All the species were so very different, and that is why the Ittoqures were so dangerous. It was too much going on in one person. Michael pulled Charlene in for a hug. It surprised me. He was displaying tenderness. "It's good to see you... Where are we?" Michael asked. All three of them surveyed the room. The fountain was bubbling next to us.

"This is like a common hall area. Bathhouse. Library." Charlene walked around and pointed in different directions.

"It's stunning. Is the whole place like this." Michael commented and went over to the white-barked trees growing down the corridor. He ran his hand over some of the branches, feeling the smooth surface. His gaze traveled upwards. "Is this real?"

"Yes... It's all beautiful... And strange. No leaves on these trees... Why are you here? Where is everybody else?"

Michael and Juliet shared a glance and a smile. "We ran away," Juliet whispered. Michael's smile broadened. "But no, really. We're here for Ahasuerus's vault. And the sooner, the better."

Michael looked at me. I glanced at the fountain. He followed my gaze. "That easy?" Michael suggested.

I approached the structure and pulled a lever hidden inside the well. Walls rose from the bottom with a slight rumble and cordoned off the water, revealing steps that led down into a small room. It was where the village kept all the most important things. One by one, we took the steps into the underground bunker. There was a large wooden box on the floor. I pointed to it. Michael and Juliet shared a glance and rushed over. He lifted the lid. I stepped closer. A simple piece of paper. Juliet lifted it and read it out loud.