Chapter 6: Roles to Fill

The inside of the wrecked ship is surprisingly larger than they had all expected. And strangely enough, the structure of the vessel is rather intact, considering how old it must be. Dust is gathered in every corner and the interior is fairly dark, save for the few cracks of light sneaking in through the gaps in the walls.

It was oddly relaxing to spend the night on the beach. Now with the break of a new day, they are refreshed and ready to get to work.

At least, most of them are.

The moment they enter, Regan freezes in the doorway, staring distantly at the sight of the ship's interior as though he's just had an out of body experience.

Cree cocks a brow his way and goes to question him on what's wrong, when Regan rushes ahead to stand in the center of the massive open area, clapping his hands together.

"If we're going to be staying here, this place must feel comelier!" he exclaims.

J rushes in after him and huffs. "This is my home! What do you mean it needs—"

Regan shakes his head, not even looking at her as he's still taking in everything about the space they're all going to be occupying. "No no, some changes must be made to spruce this place up," he purses his lips and walks to a random wall.

"Fix some patches in the walls... Maybe get some nice shag carpets over there... Oh, and matching armchairs. Maybe some flowers there... And..." he gasps and claps.

"We need drapes! These windows are far too bland!"

Cree sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose as Edith steps up beside him, keeping her eyes on Regan with concern conveyed through her gaze.

"Is Regan okay?" she asks quietly.

"He's definitely... Regan," Cree mumbles with a low chuckle.

J groans and rolls her eyes. "What the hell, go for it. Free home renovation!"

Regan jumps happily and hurries off to start doing whatever Regan does when he gets like this and J chases after him, making Reela giggle and follow both of them.

Reela peeks into a corner, seeing what looks like a dog bed made from dead grass and leaves, and in the center of it is something that can't be described in words that are anything other than what it is. That is simply a poorly taxidermied rat with seagull wings and a tiny tiara.

The girl sits in front of it and pokes its nose. Regan turns and sees her with that and he hurries over to move her away from it.

"What on earth is that disgusting thing?" he grimaces.

J gasps and sprints towards the thing, picking it up and holding it like a baby, frantically stroking its head.

"Its name is Bartholomew and you will show it the proper respect it deserves!" she cries on the verge of tears.

Reela smiles and walks over, reaching up to 'Bartholomew' and poking its nose.

"He's dead!" she giggles.

"IT isn't dead! It lives off of my love!" J shouts and lifts the dead seagull rat over her head to keep it out of the child's reach. "You stay away from it, tiny demon!" she turns into a seagull, holding Bartholomew in her mouth, and she flies away.

Regan clears his throat. "Well that happened," he sighs. "Come on, Reela. Let's get to work."

Colin walks further into the space and looks around, seemingly with the same curious glint in his eyes as Nisha has on hers.

"Is this an Aramora ship?" Colin questions.

Nisha walks over to a wall and runs her hand over a dusty wooden frame, feeling the intricate etchings brush against her palm.