Chapter 36: Nature of Humanity

As they make their way out of the Bastion, Edith leans against Cree for support with one arm over his shoulders and her other arm wrapped around her stomach. She's still trembling and her movements remain slowed, but feeling that the heartbeat of her baby is back gives her the strength to move forward.

They make it over the hill with Nisha and Naomi following, when they see that outside the Bastion, a crowd is starting to form. The chaos in the Bastion seems to be drawing in outside attention. They scan their eyes over the crowd in search of familiar faces.

Mixed in with the onlookers, Edith spots Colin with J and Latanya. She tries moving towards him on her own but Cree has to stay at her side or else she may fall. They had to wait for her EPC to recover at least ten percent of energy before starting to make their way out, but even now she remains moderately unstable.

Cree helps her navigate through the crowd while also looking through the faces with narrowed eyes, but he stops as they reach Colin.

Edith lets him go and stumbles into Colin's arms, and he holds on tight to her and despite being an SRL, he's trembling at just seeing her again, safe and sound. The sight makes Cree smile, but his focus remains divided between them and the crowd.

"...Doll, you're okay," Colin shudders with an absent chuckle as she rests her head on his shoulder in the embrace.

She smiles feebly with a sporadic nod. "I'm..." she takes a deep breath as she is still finding her voice. "...I'm alright," she says absently. Her mind is still so focused on recovering that there's not much room for clear thought.

As she leans back, she shudders and holds her stomach tighter. Colin reinforces his hold on her and looks her over, about to ask what's wrong when he sees the bloodstain on her stomach.

He freezes and searches her eyes. "...Doll...?"

Nisha pats him on the back. "Don't worry. The baby's fine," she says to save Edith from having to spend anymore emotional energy on explaining. "There was an incident with The Envoy, but it's all good now."

Concern fills Colin's eyes. "Oscar... hurt you?" he asks carefully, but Edith just lowers her head more and tenses in his arms. "Sorry. You just focus on recovering," he gently rubs her back and she nods.

"Okay..." she looks up at him and tilts her head. "...Where are your wires?"

Colin lets out a sheepish chuckle and scratches the back of his head. "Well..."

While they're talking, Cree keeps looking over the crowd. More and more worry grows on his face each time he turns, when he finally looks to Colin again. "Where's Regan?" he asks, when the chattering of the crowd falls silent and everyone turns their attention onto the bridge of Espheral.

Following their gaze, they see the army from Mortal marching forward, when they stop and part for Peace and Data to pass with Corbin fighting against them and metal cuffs restraining her wrists behind her back.

Data looks over the crowd and spots her friends, when she sees Cree and shows him a small nod that makes him smile and return the gesture.

Peace and Data pull Corbin aside, and stepping up in the center of the parted army is Regan with his head high but his shoulders slouched. His eyes look tired as he casts his gaze out over the crowd and doesn't stop searching until he finds Cree, when he smiles wearily.

The crowd is silent as they watch Regan intently, and he sees the expectancy in each and every one of their gazes. Apprehension lingers in the air with every passing moment. But with it is also a sense of hope. A small sense, but it's hope nonetheless.