Chapter 29: Chasing a Ghost

Todo wakes up to having his face repeatedly slapped left and right by an underwhelmingly tiny hand and when he blinks his eyes open, it's to see Reela filling his view with an oddly assertive stare that's somehow admittedly a little intimidating.

The girl gasps with relief. "Not dead!" she exclaims and frantically grabs his arm, pointing down the hall in Regan's direction. "Help! Please! Regan needs help!" she cries, pulling on Todo's arm to try getting him back on his hooves.

The centaur holds his head and winces before standing up a bit unsteadily. "What... happened? Where is Corb?" he looks around, but Reela tugs on his arm again.

"I don't know, but Regan needs help! Please!" she begs.

Todo returns his focus to her and has to shake the thought of his brother aside to sternly nod and let the girl lead the way.

Reela and Todo hurry to Regan's side, and he gasps at seeing the girl again. "Reela! What are you—"

"Shut up! I'm not letting you die too!" she huffs as Todo starts helping him stand. The boy may only be twelve, but he's a lot stronger than he looks just from being a centaur. Reela may not be able to support Regan's weight, but Todo can.

Romeow rushes over and Reela turns to face him, pointing forward. "Romeow, lead us out of here!" she shouts in a shockingly commanding voice before she picks up Toya and hugs her close against her chest.

Leaning on Todo to support his wounded leg, Regan lets the children guide him to safety.

________________________________
__________________

A unit of Hexes marches through the main room and turns into the kitchen to see that Data is sitting on the counter with her legs crossed daintily and a vodka bottle raised to her lips that she carelessly chugs despite the fires burning around her.

The Hexes raise their guns at her, getting her to lower the bottle and look at them innocently.

With a wink, she throws the bottle at them and it shatters at their feet. In an instant, they all fire at her at once.

She glitches out of sight, leaving the Hexes to look around in question, when Peace walks up with a lit cigarette between her lips that she tosses to the ground from behind them, setting instant fire to the spilled vodka. The four Hexes who were in front of the unit are set aflame and begin to run away in a panic, but the ceiling above them collapses.

A monkey swings down from the hole in the ceiling and in mid-air, bursts out in a pink explosion and J appears to smash her nail-covered bat into the burning pile of men.

Now, the remaining unit all turn their attention to J as she stands up with an innocent giggle and turns around to face them. She lifts her hand in the shape of a gun and closes one eye, bites her lip, and pretends to shoot.

They hear a shotgun cock, then another Hex's head explodes.

May walks down the stairs with her shotgun rested against her shoulder and a deadpan expression on her face. She swats J's ass as she walks past her and turns to aim at the next Hex to come at her, cocking her shotgun again before blowing a hole through his chest.

J happily claps and sprints at Data, stopping in her tracks to burst out in a pink explosion and reappear as a normal-ass chair.

Data instantly grabs the back of chair J and swings it around, throwing it with all of her strength at the next couple of Hexes to come at them.

Chair J smashes into the Hexes and poofs back into herself, standing atop the Hex pile beside May. Without a word, May grabs her and pulls her in for a kiss as she aims her shotgun at another Hex, blowing his head off without even looking.