Chapter 26: Scars

Warning: This chapter contains themes of child abuse, transphobia, depression, self harm and suicide.
____________________________________________________

He's seeing a ghost. When he heard from Peace and Data that John had been killed, he thought he would never again see his storm grey eyes and strawberry blonde hair. His rosy skin with the entire left side of his face scarred from a burn after one unfortunate interrogation from Unity.

But here he is. John Wright.

He casually shrugs and tucks his hands in his pockets with a cocky grin on his face. "Oh sorry. Colin. I forgot you've gotten an upgrade since I died," John chuckles. "Seems dyin' is rather popular with our little groupie, yeah? I'm startin' to get the feeling you're all copying me. I'm flattered, really. But maybe you should look for a hobby that's less hazardous to your health." Just hearing his voice makes Colin's heart beat faster.

He takes an unconscious step towards him. "...John?"

John smiles and opens his arms. "Miss me, did ya?" he snickers as Colin rushes towards him, opening his arms as well for an embrace but he ends up passing right through him like air. He stops and quickly turns back to face John, seeing the weary, yet smug look on his face.

He snickers and squints his eyes to examine the SRL closer. "You'd think gettin' the premium brain upgrade would make you less slow," he lowers his arms back to his sides and returns one hand to his pocket, holding the other up and a lit cigarette appears between his fingers that he starts smoking.

"But, I can't say I blame you. After all, I died... How long's it been now? I guess it doesn't really matter," he sighs with a shrug, lowering his hand and keeping the cigarette between his lips. "This isn't really 'John.' You know that, right? I'm just a memory of him."

Colin looks down with a sigh, his mind still racing to catch up with everything that's going on. He doesn't know what he was expecting, but he supposes if Achilles was made as a gift for Cree, it would make sense for Regan to use the personality of John; the person Cree looks up to the most. But he gives himself a break by remembering that he's had a lot on his mind lately.

He takes a deep breath and allows himself to process before he speaks again. "I... know you're not really him. I just... It's still just nice to see your face again," he smiles and steps towards him once more.

John laughs and puffs on the cigarette, holding it between his fingers again. "Of course it is. Who wouldn't be happy to see this mug?" he points at himself with a goofy grin. "Gotta say though, I wasn't expecting to see you here. I honestly thought it'd've been Edith. So, I gotta ask," he nods towards Colin. "Why're you here? I'm assuming there's a reason, as hopping into the head of probably the most fucked up guy in the group doesn't really sound like an ideal thing to do on impulse."

Colin sighs again and slowly nods. "Because we think The Director has done something to Tyrell's mind to make him serve her," he starts and John huffs with a nod of his own.

"No kiddin'. Our guy's gotten himself into some serious shit. But what else's new? But my question stands," he blows out a breath of smoke and narrows his eyes at Colin. "Why you?"

The SRL looks around the dark forest and white sky before meeting his eyes again. "If I can find whatever was done to turn him against us," he lifts his hand to show John a faint green glow in his palm. "Maybe I can fix it."

John lets out an overdramatic gasp and takes the cigarette out of his lips. "Woah woah woah, hol' up," he laughs. "You're actually gonna use your magic for once? Almighty 'Mind Mar agent of Aramora'?"