Chapter 3 - The Daycare (Part One)

The rain poured heavily outside, Jack and his mother were in her workshop on the second floor of the house, working on an art piece together, she was still teaching him the basics of painting. Jack gently applied a brush stroke into the canvas, "Am I doing it right?" Jack asked his mother, the woman nodded in affirmation, but he still felt insecure about it. "Really?... I don't know... It doesn't look perfect enough." he said showing a bit of frustration with his work. His mother gently chuckled "Oh sweetie... Don't worry, it looks great. Art isn't about perfection, but the feeling you transmit with it." She reassured him. Jack sighed, feeling a bit more comfortable by his mother's words. But when Jack was about to apply another brush stroke, a loud bang was heard from downstairs, likely coming from the entrance door violently opening and closing, his dad had arrived. The mother's soft expression changed to a concerned one, which didn't go unnoticed by Jack. "Mom? Is everything ok?" He asked. The woman forced a smile, "Stay here and keep painting ok? I... I'll handle this." She kissed Jack's forehead, got up from the chair on his side, and exited the workshop, looking at him one last time before sighing and going downstairs, leaving Jack alone.

End of flashback.

—------------------------------------------------------

"Uhh... Why are we in a gift shop?" Jack asked Roxy after they went to a nearby gift shop. "Well... We have a long 6 hours ahead, so we should get some useful stuff, don't ya think?" The animatronic answered. "Isn't that... stealing?", Roxy chuckled, "Nah, I live here kid, so it's okay." Her answer didn't make much sense to Jack, but he decided to go along with it, to survive Vanny and the other two murderous animatronics he surely would need more than just a flashlight and a screwdriver. "Alright kiddo, stay here while I get a very important item for us okay?" She said, putting extra intonation into the word "very". Roxy walked away, leaving Jack in the middle of the gift shop. The boy walked around the gift shop in search of any useful items, but all he could find were useless merchandise such as t-shirts, plushies, and other toys, all themed after the Pizzaplex characters until he found the Backpack section of the shop. 'Huh, a backpack would definitely be useful.' He thought to himself as he stared at the backpacks displayed in front of him, each one is themed after a specific animatronic. "Like what you see?" A voice suddenly asked from behind him, the boy nearly jumped and looked behind, relaxing at the sight of Roxanne. "Jeez, no need to be such a scaredy cat." She said, "My life is at risk here, I need to stay alert at all times!" Argued Jack, causing Roxy to laugh a little, "Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right." She stepped closer, "Anyways, you liked the backpacks huh?" She said while pointing to the backpacks on display in front of him, "Oh, yeah, I think one could be useful." Roxy grabbed a Roxanne Wolf themed backpack and handed it to Jack, "Here, it's yours kid." Jack put on his new backpack, "Thank you". "Also, here, take this." Roxy said while she handed the boy a strange type of watch, which Jack didn't recognize, "What is this?" He asked while taking the watch off Roxy's hand, "It's a FazWatch™, it is still a prototype but it should keep us in contact in case we separate from each other, you can call me on it anytime." She explained, "Woah" Jack placed it on his wrist and turned it on. "I know, I know, It sucks that they made it after Freddy's design and not mine, but whatever, it is still useful." Roxy said, visibly frustrated with the design choice, "Uhum" Jack muttered, not paying attention to her or his surroundings as he was concentrating on navigating through the watch. And oh boy, that little thing sure was useful, not only could he message Roxy, he could also see which doors were locked, he could access the maps of certain areas of the Pizzaplex and he could also access the security cameras. "Alright, now we are ready to go." Roxy said while taking one of Jack's hands, exiting the gift shop.

—------------------------------------------------------

As the duo walked through the Pizzaplex, Jack carefully avoided the patrolling STAFF bots, while Roxy simply pushed them aside. Along the way, Jack sometimes stared at Roxy, without her noticing, of course, he was absolutely impressed by how human she sounded, not only because of her consciousness but because of the strange human-like traits she had. Roxy seemed to have some sort of ego, which made the boy wonder... Why would anyone program that into a robot? Or... It could also not be intended at all, but the thought of an animatronic naturally developing something like that seemed insane to Jack. The whole Pizzplex was pure insanity to him, or maybe he was the one going insane, he couldn't tell it anymore.