⟶ swing&miss

please comment, vote, and react!

+

+

+

𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝.

+

THIRD DATE. JOSIE'S AT THE BAT.

"I'm just not in the place for a relationship, right now."

      She says this, in front of a perfectly attractive and attentive man who somehow still feels like a complete swing&miss to Josie.

      Ben tenses, in front of her. His knuckles go white, and Josie feels absolutely awful, but for some reason, so relieved?

      "It's really not you, Ben," she rushes to assure because those blue eyes are piercing her soul right now and if looks could kill... "Really. I'm just... I'm in a bad place. Emotionally."

      "Then why would you want to be alone?"

      One of the traits that Josie originally liked about Ben was his bluntness. He was always straightforward, and Josie always knew what he was thinking.

      But now... it felt more like an attack.

      Josie didn't want to be alone. That was actually her biggest fear: being alone. It's probably why she attached to Matt, and consequently, Ben. But Josie knows she's stronger than this, and she's ending the cycle here.

      "I-I can't have anyone... romantically. Not now," Josie elaborates. "It's just going really fast. And right before you, I was going through something, and I just realized I'm not really over it, yet."

       Ben doesn't say anything — he doesn't have to. His jaw tightens, and his eyes go to her left.

      "I'm being honest, Ben, and I'm so sorry," she apologizes, genuinely. "I-I feel awful about it — please know that. I just, I don't want to lead you on, and — "

      "It's fine."

      He says it, tensely. It's definitely not fine, and Josie is well aware.

      "It's not like I'm completely dropping you, Ben. I...I want to be friends if you want to. It's not... it's not all or nothing, Ben. There's a middle ground."