Chapter 22- In sickness and In health

Damola's POV

I wake up to the sound of wheels aggressively hitting the marble tiles. It was ododo mi.
The nurses were wheeling her out of the room. I turn to my left and notice her mum, still fast asleep on the chair. Knowing my mother-in-law, she will surely throw a tantrum when she finds out that they took Bunmi in for surgery without telling her but she will be more outraged if I wake her up.

Decisions decisions! I guess I'll just have to face her wrath then.

"Iya mi," I say touching her shoulder lightly.

"Yes my son what is....," she stops mid-sentence as soon as she catches sight of the stretcher.

"Oh! Why are they taking her without telling us?"

"Mummy I don't know but I am sure they will tell us afterwards"

"You are right. Come on now, let's pray," she says extending her hand for me to hold.

I am not a religious person, never have been in fact but regardless, I accept the hand and we begin to pray, hoping for a miracle.

"Dear God, please make Bunmi well again. I promise to be a better husband, , I promise to love her with all my heart and love our kids to come too. Please make her okay. Please please God," I chant continuously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours go by with no word from the operation room. Beyond my calm expression, I am twisting and turning inside.

"My son, will you stop pulling that ring or do I have to collect it from you before you break your finger," my mother-in-law says in a joking manner.

"Mama, you noticed. It's a subconscious habit of mine that's triggered whenever I get nervous or anxious. I just don't know why they are taking so long," I say, letting out a sigh of frustration.

"Don't worry. It's going to be fine!" She says, the corners of her lips turning up half way.

"See o! I need you to be strong for me and most importantly, for her too. I can see it in your eyes; how you adore her, it's the same way my Tolu looks at me. She's a fighter and you know it.  It's going to be fine," she states peremptorily.

"She is a fighter," I mutter before going back to staring at the wall clock for the umpteenth time.

I watch as the tip of the clock hand brushes past most of the numbers before resting graciously at ten.

"How did time fly so fast?," I think to myself.

"Mummy I think you should go home now since I'm here. We've neither eaten nor
washed. I think you should go and freshen up then come back tomorrow if you want. I'll stay don't worry," I propose.

"I am not going anywhere. I can't! My baby needs me!"

"Yes she does but she needs you alive and healthy, Mama. Please you need to sleep, eat and rest. I promise to give you updates," I say trying to convince her.

"Okay okay fine. But it's only a deal if you give me updates by the hour"

"Done Mama," I reply with a victorious smile.

"Donald is around. He can drop you off"

"Okay then, but I need my updates," she drawls while standing up and taking her bag.

"Sure! Let me walk you out," I say getting up too.

The atmosphere is silent as we make our way to the car. I open the car door for her and wait until she's seated comfortably before asking the question that has been on my mind since I spoke to the doctor.