Chapter 16- Truth seeking II

The week flew by before Bunmi could say Rumplestiltskin. Damola was finally getting discharged today and that only confirmed one thing; the paternity test was coming out the next day. Bunmi could not mask her apprehension.

"Am I being a bad wife by taking things into my own hands, Should I talk to him about it, What if he lies?, Is he really cheating on me?,, Are there other women?,"

All these thoughts kept swimming around Bunmi's head hitting all the crevices of her brain. She had to get Damola home soon if she wanted to make it in time for her appointment with Habiba. The sound of the door opening brought her out of her thoughts.

It was Damola's doctor, Dr. Salami. The young doctor casually strolled in with her heels clonking against the marble floor. She smiled at Bunmi before turning to smile at Damola.

For one looking at the young doctor, you wouldn't notice at first glance but one thing was for sure; the smile did not reach her eyes.

Bunmi reciprocated the smile with one of her signature fake smiles which she had come to perfect over the years. Damola flashed her a smile too.

Bunmi kept noticing the little things when it came to Dr. Salami in particular. Initially, she thought it was just full blown A-class paranoia but now, she could see through the façade. She was not born yesterday. This doctor was trying to play a number on her and her foolish husband was entertaining it.

"Or was she already his new play thing," she thought.

She hated having negative thoughts about the love of her life but he kept giving her so many reasons to suspect him. The sooner she knew the results of the test the better.

"Please Doc, if you are done looking at my husband would you care to tell us if our paper work has been sorted. I know he's quite handsome but time unfortunately is not on our side," Bunmi said looking straight into the doctor's eyes.

Dr. Salami was truly shocked. Either it was from the fact that this woman just insulted her or due to the fact that her advances were too obvious and this woman might sue her for being unprofessional or a little bit of both.

"I will just go and check," she replied before scurrying away.

The doctor came back awhile later with the papers for them to sign. Once the couple had finished signing, Dr. Salami informed them that they were free to go.

Bunmi wasted no time in dropping Damola at home before sneaking out to meet Habiba. She was finally going to put her mind at rest.
The two best friends met up as planned and were on their way to meet 'someone who could help.'

They had been driving for ages before they stopped, suddenly. Bunmi peered through the window and all she could see was dead grass and weird looking trees.

"Habiba are you sure this man knows where we are going?," she said pointing at the driver.

"Baby! Chill abeg, we are here," Habiba said exaggerating every word.

Bunmi busted out laughing.

"You got me!...You got me good," she said shaking her head from side to side.

Habiba did not even bother to explain, knowing her friend was a lost cause. Instead, she opened the car door and began walking.
Bunmi did not know what her best friend was up to. If anything, she was baffled by the sudden action but regardless, she decided to follow her.

"Tell me why I thought it was a good idea to wear heels today," Bunmi said taking her shoes off.

They had been walking for hours and there was no building or structure in view. Bunmi was beginning to think Habiba did not even know where they were going. She already had blisters  and was dying of thirst. Habiba too looked tired but she kept going regardless.