Chapter 5- Caught red handed

"Ha an! Kilodè?!," (what is wrong with you) the plumpy woman who Damola had just crashed into roared.

"Ma Binu Ma, I did not see you there," Damola said with his head bent down.

She ignored him, her eyes were now fixed on the articles of clothing that had scattered around him.

People had now began to gather to see what the commotion was about and they too had the same impression after seeing the garments, the young boy was definitely involved in something fishy.

"Young man what is all this?"
"Emm emm"
"I heard nowadays people are using all these to do ritual"
"Why isn't he answering"
"Why is he stammering"
"Let's tie him up and beat him until he confesses"

People had began surrounding him and shouting curses while a few men actively tried to restrain him.

"Please no! I'm a trader. Stop!," Damola pleaded.
"Keep quiet, you liar!"
"We know people like you and we are not easily fooled"

Some men held him down as two others began tying his hands and legs. Damola knew that only a miracle could take him out of the hands of these people so he continued to struggle against his captors. He was not going to go down without a fight.

That was when Alhaji Dahiru; a very wealthy and respectable man in the community saw him. Alhaji's father was originally from Kano then migrated to Oshogbo in the 60's, where the rich man was born. He had seen too many cases like this and knew exactly how it was going to end. They would beat him up until he confessed to his crimes, then he would be killed. It was the same routine but this time around, he had decided to intervene.

"Leave the young man alone. Didn't you hear him when he said that he is a trader. When did being a trader become a crime. Maybe he trades in lady wears, did you all think about that?! Untie this man this instant!," The Alhaji yelled causing everyone to stop what they were doing and obey his commands.

"We are very sorry Alhaji, we did not know you knew him. We thought he was lying, you know boys of nowadays want to get money by hook or crook," one of the men tried to explain.

"I understand but please hurry up and untie this young man. From the looks of it, he is not from around here. Do you want him to start telling stories about how wicked we are, now that you have shown him a very bad side."

"We had good intentions Alhaji"

"Sorry oga," the man said speaking to Damola after untying the last of the knots and stepping aside.

Alhaji Dahiru motioned for Damola to follow him to a secluded area away from the crowd before asking, "Young man firstly, what is you name?"

"Damola Akanbi," he answered visibly shaken.

"Where are you going to?"

"Surulere, Sir"

"Go and get your luggage then, I will personally escort you to Sulurele. We are good people here but wary of visitors. You have seen first hand that they do not trust easily."

Damola nodded meekly, beyond grateful to the Alhaji for saving his life and wanting nothing else other than getting far away from this place. He swiftly made a bee line to where his luggage was located before hurriedly gathering it and following the Alhaji to his car.

Damola could not believe his eyes at the sight of the vehicle, it was a massive Mercedes Benz G63 SUV. He quickly got inside sitting cautiously scared to spoil the sleek expensive interior. Whispering a greeting towards the driver, he finally summoned the courage to speak to Alhaji Dahiru.