i want to sing you a song

"Say, why do we have to attend this thing again?"

"It's essential for fostering inter-organisation relations or whatever."

"But this?! How's this gonna help!"

-

Really, certain Agency and Mafia members were really toeing the line of normalcy in their attempts of maintaining peace and order.

It was a known fact that the Armed Detective Agency and the Port Mafia were enemies for quite a while. With morally opposing values that governed their conscience, they stood on the opposite ends of the hallway. Nevertheless, they stood with their backs to each other, even if it was only for the sake of protecting their city while maintaining their enmity.

The detectives didn't get along with the mafiosos, even if it was merely superficial.

But that was all in the past now. A good while ago, the leaders of both organisations had managed to come to a compromise, agreeing to form a truce between their groups. Both worked for the same goal, even if their methods might be different. There was no reason for them to spar against each other constantly.  

Contracts signed between the leaders, and between a certain devastating duo, the Agency and the Mafia came to a mutual understanding, their borders merging together, catalysed by the air of peace and serenity.

But now that the alliance had been formed, it was, of course, of utmost important to maintain the relationships between the Agency members and the mafiosos. One way to do this was to foster connections by joint missions, sure. But wasn't it better if they could get to know one another out of work as well?

Hence, the only logical solution was to organise joint social events between both groups, which has already been done once in the past before, in the form of a joint flower viewing.

After very serious discussions between two blondes, Kunikida from the Agency and Higuchi from the Mafia, the two of them decided on hosting a joint karaoke night. It was decided to conduct the very important event at a regular Japanese karaoke place; a method to allow people of the Underworld to enjoy pleasures of the civilians. 

The largest karaoke room booked well in advance, and invitations (along with very necessary guidelines) already sent to all members, the event was good to start soon enough, as the time of their room booking inched closer by the second. 

Which brings us back to two certain people, standing in front of the karaoke place, staring at the 'tacky' neon sign which announced its name. 

Dazai insisted once again, "I fail to see how a karaoke event will help the truce."

Next to him, his partner hummed, "Well, it makes sense if you think really hard about it. Everyone will be drunk and signing, right? Without inhibitions or whatever. They'll be more relaxed around each other."

The detective just huffed, "That's still stupid."

Chuuya grinned at him, "I bet you're just scared that you'll lose to me."

Dazai snorted, "Whatever you say, hatrack. I bet you'll be drunk within ten minutes and fumble your way through all the songs!"

"And I'll still sound way better than a sober you!"

A dramatic gasp, "Not true at all! You just sound like a screeching slug anyway."

"You're the one who can't sing, Mackerel. I win all the time. This is something you can't rig, you know?"

The duo's very interesting bickering was interrupted when two people walked up behind them, footsteps light and a nervous air to them.

Atsushi bowed politely when he saw his mentor and the Mafia's executive, "Ah, hello. Um, Dazai-san, Chuuya-san, did you just get here?"