90|Devonford Prep

DEREK POURED HIMSELF a cup of coffee when his head snapped up at the sound of boots thunking down the metal stairs. Turning, Derek watched as Beck stepped off the last step fully dressed, her messenger bag slung over her shoulder as she moved to the desk.

"Where do you think you're going?" Derek asked as he left his coffee, moving to stand in front of his little sister.

"School," Beck murmured as she grabbed her book. "I've missed too many days already. And the scrimmage with Devonford Prep is today. It's gonna be Liam's first time playing as a werewolf, I wanna be there for him. Not to mention Devonford being his old school."

"And... you think going is a good idea?"

"I can't sit here doing nothing for the rest of my life," Beck muttered, looking up at Derek. "Especially with assassins possibly hunting me down for money. I... I need to do something. And at the moment, that something is helping Liam."

Derek sighed at the look on Beck's face. She was trying so hard to make it look like she was okay, but Derek knew better. He could see it in her eyes. Beck was barely holding herself together.

"Look, Beck, you shouldn't rush back so soon," Derek said softly, watching as Beck lowered her head, her lip moving between her teeth. "Scott can take care of Liam."

But Beck shook her head as she began going through her bag, making sure she had everything. "No, I... I have to go. I can't stay here any longer."

"Beck-"

"I can't stay here Derek!" Beck snapped, light green eyes snapping up to look at her older brother. Tears could be seen forming as a lamp flickered on suddenly. "I can't. I-I-I need a distraction, Derek. I need to do something. I need to get... to get my mind off of..." Trailing off, Beck wiped at the tears building in her eyes before glancing around the loft, refusing to look up at the sympathetic look Derek was making. "Derek..." Beck took in another breath to calm herself before continuing. "I have to go to school, I just have to. Now, are you gonna give me a ride or do I have to walk?"

Derek watched his baby sister for a moment, watching as she forced a calm look on her face. The lamp had stopped flickering as Beck took deep, calming breaths. Knowing she was serious about walking to the high school, Derek nodded his head before grabbing his keys.

"Thank you," she muttered, readjusting her bag over her shoulder.

"On one condition," Derek said, lifting a finger at Beck. "I want you to text me between every class. No matter what."

The small blonde gave a curt nod. "Deal."

AS BECK WALKED down the halls of Beacon Hills High School, she could feel the eyes of every student, teacher, and faculty member watching her

AS BECK WALKED down the halls of Beacon Hills High School, she could feel the eyes of every student, teacher, and faculty member watching her. But Beck didn't crack under the stares. She held her head high, showing no weakness.