55|what

BECK SAT IN the animal clinic as Deaton moved around, but mentally she wasn't there. Mentally, Beck was miles away, her mind thinking over what Stiles and Scott had told her earlier that morning.

Derek was dead.

Beck couldn't believe Derek was dead.

"You know," Deaton hummed as he glanced over to the dazed blonde. Shaking her head, Beck's attention snapped towards Deaton. "If you're not feeling up to it, we don't have to have your lesson today. Scott told me that there is a coven in town that's been helping you learn."

Beck shook her head as she shifted in her seat. "No, I want to have our lessons. Besides, Scott doesn't want me alone with the coven running around. And I really didn't want to go with Allison and Lydia to babysit Scott and Stiles, I have no clue where Cora ran off to, and I don't trust my uncle. And being here can help keep my mind off of..." Beck trailed off as she looked towards the ground. Deaton stepped into the kennel as Beck shook her head again. "Anyway, I like having our lessons. To be honest, when I work with you it feels more natural than with the witches."

"I should hope so," Deaton chuckled as he carried out a cat, placing it on the examination table. Beck stepped forward, holding the cat down as Deaton prepared to x-ray it. "Druids and White Witches have been working together side by side for centuries. It's why I got along so well with your family's coven. Many would confuse our kinds. Dark Witches, on the other hand..."

"Dark Witches?" Beck asked as her hand stroked the cat's fur.

"Yes, witches that divulged in more of the dark arts of magic," Deaton explained, giving the cat a shot before Beck laid it down on its side. "I should say, Beck, be careful in what they teach you. If they try and teach you dark magic, it could turn you. Make you into a Dark Witch. Then, White Witches would be completely extinct."

Beck nodded her head as she continued to stroke the cat's fur. Deaton smiled toward Beck as he x-rayed the cat's paw. Deaton then pulled out the x-ray, moving to the light board as Beck carried the cat over to an empty cage. Turning to the x-ray, Deaton began studying it. Beck moved next to him, tilting her head as she looked at the x-ray too. In the lobby, the doorbell rang.

"It's open," Deaton called as he took a final glance at the x-ray before going to see who it was.

Beck stayed, moving back to the cage to check on the cat. Sticking her fingers through the bars, Beck scratched the still sleeping cat's head.

"We could use a little help," a familiar voice said from the lobby. Beck lifted her head as she listened in. Was that Ms. Morrell?

"Try the hospital," Deaton said in a dark tone. Beck moved towards the door, keeping hidden as she listened in.

"Open the gate, Alan," Ms. Morrell ordered.

"No."

"Help us, or..." a different female voice threatened. "Maybe I just kill her." There was a pause as Beck bit her lip. "Or how about your little mouse listening in from the next room." A hand shot up to Beck's mouth as she tried to stifle her gasp. "Come out little mouse."

Stepping slowly around the corner, Beck's eyes glanced over the four people standing in the lobby of the animal clinic.

Standing on the other side of the gate was indeed Ms. Morrell. Next to her stood Kali, one of the alphas, her eyes flashing blood red. Behind them stood Aiden carrying an unconscious bald man covered in blood. Ennis.

"Why, if it isn't Rebecca Hale?" Kali cooed, her eyes still flashing. "I remember when you were just a little thing. My, haven't you grown? Why don't you come over here and let Aunt Kali take a look at you?"