44|ice bath

"YOU'RE A LIAR," Jules declared as she leaned against the lockers next to Beck's.

"What?" Beck giggled as she glanced at Jules, pulling out her notebook for her first class.

"You said you were gonna come back but you never did," Jules said. "What happened to you the other day? You weren't at lunch or any of our other classes."

"Oh," Beck hummed as she turned to Jules. "Some of my friends were attacked in that freak bird accident," Beck explained as she closed her locker. "One of my friends' dad came by to check on her and decided to take us home."

"Whoa, lucky," Jules whined as she shook her head.

Beck smiled as she glanced down the hall. She turned to her friend when she noticed a familiar dark-haired man entering one of the classrooms.

"Look, I gotta go do something," Beck said as she jutted her thumb over her shoulder. "See you in Harris's class?"

"Yeah, see ya," Jules waved as she turned on her heels.

Scurrying down the hall, Beck entered just as Lydia and Allison started showing Derek the mark.

"Ha, Lydia, you owe me fifty bucks," Beck called as she walked to the group. Sitting down on top of a desk, Beck watched as her brother glared at Lydia and Allison's wrists.

"I don't see anything," Derek sighed as he turned to Scott.

"Look again," Scott instructed.

"How is a bruise gonna tell me where Boyd and Erica are?" Derek asked making Allison glare at him.

"It's the same on both sides," Scott explained, pointing down to their wrists. "Exactly the same."

"It's nothing."

"Derek, it's something," Beck said, shaking her head.

"Pareidolia," Lydia said out of nowhere. "Seeing patterns that aren't there." She looked up at Derek like this was something he should know. "It's a subset of apophenia."

Derek glared over at Scott who sighed. "They're trying to help," Scott whispered.

"These two?" Derek snapped as he pointed a finger at Lydia and Allison. "This one, who used me to resurrect our psychotic uncle. Thank you. And this one, who shot about thirty arrows into me and my pack."

Beck raised her hand as she sat up. "In Lydia's defense, Uncle Peter was manipulating her," Beck explained, earning a glare from Derek. Deflating slightly, the small blonde raised her hands in surrender. "Just saying."

"Okay, all right. Now, come on." Stiles said from his seat. "No one died, all right? Look there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction."

"My mother died," Allison hissed, glaring at Derek.

"Wow, that escalated quickly," Beck muttered as she glanced over at Stiles. Stiles turned to Beck, nodding his head.

"Your family's little honor code killed your mother," Derek corrected, glaring right back at Allison. "Not me."

"That girl was looking for Scott," Allison said. "I'm here to help him, not you."

"Derek," Beck said as she hopped off the desk, trying to defuse the situation. Walking forward, Beck stood in between Derek and Allison. "You weren't there the other day. You didn't see how this woman was acting. She was desperate to find Scott." Derek continued to glare at Allison as Beck released a huff. "Derek, it's something."