Recovery Part 2

Fluff » Smut » Fluff
__________________

Time went by quickly in what felt like a week, a few months had gone by. Johnny was released from the hospital but still needed time to heal. The gang volunteered to take turns watching Johnny at their separate places, but I told them I'd watch over Johnny. They laughed and doubt it at first, but they soon shut up after realizing how serious I was about my statement.

I stayed true to my statement, and I made that as a promise to Johnny. I took care of him and made sure he was comfortable, happy, and all-around, feeling good. It made me happy to see Johnny happy, and I'd do anything to see him smile. He told me a few times about how he was scared to go back, and I gave him the option to stay with me. He'd never have the risk of being hurt again by his parents.

When I offered, he accepted almost immediately and bawled his eyes out. All I did was hug him and comfort him as best as I could, but that just meant patting his back. That's just because I don't know how to comfort someone at all when they're sad. Though it seems Johnny understood what I was trying to do, and it helped him out either way, so it's a win for me.

While I spent my time caring for him, I let him see a different side of me. A more caring softer side. Where I was vulnerable, and I made Johnny promise me he wouldn't tell. Not that he minded, he'd rather have it a secret than anything. The gang might've thought I was going soft if they saw me acting the way I did with johnny. They visited a lot during the day, and sometimes we went over to visit them, but it was rare.

Sometimes I had to comfort Johnny after he had nightmares or when he overthought something and was scared about the future. If it was anyone else, I probably would've gotten annoyed by this time, but it was Johnny. I could never get mad at him. I cared about him too much.

__________

Johnny was finally better. He could walk around and do everything he used to do before he got jumped despite some new scars that would linger with him for probably the rest of his life. He'd been more skittish afterwards and became a bit clingy to me, but I didn't mind. I could protect him and not let anything hurt him. I couldn't bear the thought of him getting hurt again. It made me shutter.

"Dally? Dallas!" I heard Johnny exclaim, snapping his fingers in front of me. "What?" He mumbled groggily. "Sorry to wake you at this hour again. I know it's about the 3rd time this week..." he said, ashamed of himself. "I uhm...I had a nightmare again." Johnny muttered. "Can I stay near you tonight?" He said softly. I stayed silent and yawned before I nodded and extended one of my arms.

He immediately snuggled up against me and pulled my arm down, holding onto it tightly. "Nightmare was worse than the others, I presume?" I asked softly. I got a grunt in response, but I could tell that meant yes. "You don't have to apologize whenever you wake me up. I don't mind..." I said while Johnny just sighed. "I know, but I'm just usually apologizing anyways, so..." He drifted off with his sentence.

"Somethings bothering you Johnnycake. What is it?" I asked softly. He looked at me and then looked away. "Nothing important. I'm just lost in thought." He said. I only nodded, deciding not to question further. The room filled with silence again, so I had thought he fell asleep. I turned onto my side, facing away from Johnny since I was trying to get comfortable. I hummed softly to the faint music of Elvis Presley that I could hear from downstairs.

"Hey, Dallas..?" I heard Johnny faintly whisper. "Why did you decide to take care of me by yourself? The gang offered to take turns." He said softly. I sighed, knowing one day he'd ask that. "Well, I just care about you a lot we all do. I was worried you might get hurt again while one of the others would be taking care of you. I will be honest, I don't trust Ponyboy or Soda watching you alone themselves. I just thought you would need someone you could always rely on, like how to help you." I said, slightly rambling on. "And another question. Why did you decide to take me in..? I would've been fine with my parents."

I scoffed slightly. "Johnnycake, to be honest, I hate your parents. Your mother is vile and cruel, and your dad is awful. If they do love you, they have a cruel way of showing it. They don't show it at all that's the problem. I never wanna see you hurt ever again. When I saw you at the park, barely moving, you don't know how much that made me panic. I thought you were dead Johnny. I didn't wanna end up like how I was in New York. Alone." I admitted.

Only from the moonlight, I could see Johnny have a surprised expression on his face, it soon formed into a smile, and the grip on my arm tightened. "I'd rather be dead than see you hurt ever again. But...I know it'll happen once or twice in the future." I said softly, having a sad look on my face. "Well...you can always protect me, Dallas. I could never doubt that," Johnny murmured.

I felt a smile creep onto my face, which turned into a grin quickly while I wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "Thanks, Johnnycake. You can always make me grin. You're like Sodapop in that way." I said while Johnny grinned as well. "Me and Soda?" He laughed softly, punching my arm playfully. "Yeah, that'll never be it," Johnny said while he looked at me.

"You'll always be unique and more different than anyone else, Johnny. Though I mean that in a good way." I said softly while I yawned. His eyes sparkled for a moment while his face dusted a little reddish hue. "Thanks, Dallas." He said, sounding embarrassed. I smiled a little, grinning. "You're always welcome, Johnnycake. But if you tell the gang about this, you're dead." I said seriously while still seeming in a joking mood. He only nodded.

Johnny and I sat in silence for a moment, before he suddenly sat up. "Dallas...I want you to be honest with me when I ask you my question." Johnny said in a monotone voice. "I'll be honest with you, Johnny," I responded, sitting up as well. "You've been there for me since you've arrived, and I can't thank you enough...I was so thankful when you saved me from the Socs. When you cared for me this whole time since I got out of the hospital, I never wanna be away from you ever." He spoke softly but seriously.

I was silent to show my full attention was on him at the current moment. "We've been good pals for a while now. From what I know, for a few years now. I feel safe with you and the gang, but mainly with you, Dally. I've been stuck, in my thoughts during the time, I've been recovering. I can't keep ignoring what's obvious, Dallas." He turned to me, looking me dead in the eyes. "I'm in love with you, Dallas Winston. I want you to know that because I may never get another chance to tell you this."

I was stunned in wide-eyed silence. Johnny frowned and looked away. "I know...pretty stupid, right..?" I snapped out of my shocked trance and felt a tug on my heart. 'You idiot, say something! He just confessed his love for you. You know we love him so much! Just confess and tell him, just say it. SPEAK UP.' My mind screamed at me while I just sat there. Soon I finally took a deep breath and slowly put my hand on his. Johnny turned to look at me with his face coated in a crimson red hue.

"I'm in love with you too, Johnny Cade," I said softly and then kissed him softly. I felt him flinch for a moment before I felt him lean into the kiss moving closer to me. I soon broke the kiss and just smiled lightly at him while having my blush on his face. "I'm so glad I have someone like you in my life Dallas." He said as he grinned. I could only chuckle, "I'm so glad I have you in life.

"To be honest with you, Johnnycake. If you weren't here, I wouldn't be alive still." I admitted while frowning a little. Johnny looked shocked and turned to me, he was about to speak, but I guess he shut up from my facial expression. All he did was hug me tightly. "Well, I'm here, and you'll be here with me, right?" He asked softly. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close. "Course I will. I made you a promise that I'll keep."

I heard him grunt in response, and then silence filled the room. Johnny would shuffle around to get comfortable in my embrace, but I didn't mind. All I cared about at the moment was him, and I wouldn't trade for the world. I may have sat there for a few minutes before I heard soft snoring. I realized he fell asleep, and I decided it was time to lay down and try to get some sleep in before the dawn awoke.

I laid down and got comfortable without waking Johnny up and then fell into a deep slumber with my arms wrapped around my lover.