Part thirteen

(Picture:*eek!*)
Y/n POV
You watch as Camilo was dragged off by his family and you stand awkwardly out of the way. Isabella has returned, completely exhausted and Julieta, sensing one of her daughters rises from her deep sleep. I watch the two, wordlessly, they don't need to speak, but Julieta wraps up Isabella in her arms and they stand embraced as townsfolk shift around us. Bruno taps me on the shoulder and you assist in passing out food. It isn't long before a stormy looking Pepa rushes up to you, lightning sizzling at her finger tips as she grabs your arm.
"Pepa?" Bruno glances at her, but she ignored him, her attention locked on a quiet place to talk.
"You."
"um, m'am???"
"Look me in the eyes and swear to me you will protect Camilo."
"I er, ok?"
"swear it!"
"Ok ok, I swear!" Pepa relaxed her grip on my arm. "I wish..." she trailed off, head lost in a dense mist. She glanced at you and then at the ground. "My god, Momma, they are children." She turned her attention back to you.
"Bring him home safe, and please be careful." Pepa reached for your hand and squeezed it. Julieta noticed Pepa's expression and a look you guessed only mothers could truly understand passed between them. You turned away, back to the tent where Camilo had gone and brushed open the curtain. You almost collided with Camilo as he was on his way out.

   "Hey, Camilo? Did something happen? Your mother just-"
    "Follow me, Y/n, we have something to do."
    You follow Camilo to a small quiet space, filled with various plant traps and vines. Isabella's testing ground you thought.
    "I-er, we have been given a task." He sucked in a breath, unsure and seemingly unnerved, "We will be spying on the enemies by going into their camps and finding any information we can. We then give that information to Dolores or one of Antonio's animals, I guess."
    "I see," I muttered although the thought hadn't sunk in yet.
    "it's just going to be us out there. We won't have the family there to help us..."
    "I see," you didn't feel that bothered about it, but Camilo looked visibly shaken, "Have you been this far from your family? Ever?"
    "No, not really, but what can you do?" He tried to smile and you played along.
    "So when do we leave?"
    "Tomorrow morning."
    "Got it." The sounds of war have quieted down for the evening, both sides exhausted and you and Camilo creep closer to the edge of the village, just getting a scope of the lands you tell yourself. The jungle is dark, looming shadows throwing roots into dangerous mazes or possible twisted ankles or broken bones. Luisa waved to both of you and you fill her in on the situation. She hugs both of you, too tired to try picking you up but manages an earnest smile.
    "With you two on our side, there is no way we can lose, and if you need me just shout. Er, shout for Dolores but she will get me." There isn't much left to do but wait. Mirabel had made special packs for both of you which now hung tightly against your shoulders, filled to the brim with Julieta's food, medical supplies, ways to contact the family, and various survival equipment. Soon it would be morning and soon you and Camilo would be gone.