Part fourteen

The next morning we set out, creeping through Isabella's literal jungle of death traps. Camilo held a map up in the dappled light trying to decipher the drawings. You tug at the straps of your pack nervously glancing around. Was this really the same forest Camilo's Grandmother had gone though?
"What honors had she seen just to make her way here?" you thought. This wasn't the time to get distracted, the map Camilo held was your life line in Isabelle's jungle. Camilo turned towards you a smile on his face.
"Don't worry! Isabella wouldn't put anything truly deadly in here, we just need to..." he squinted at the paper, "Not step on any red roots, touch any thorns, or fall in any pits." You gave Camilo an indignant look, but he seemed confident enough. You sighed but did your best to keep moving. The forest seemed to go on for ages as the two of you carefully tiptoed in a winding path. Finally, you saw smoke rising in the distance.

"Hold on, get low to the ground," you whispered and Camilo shrunk gown to knee height. He grinned, now roughly the size of a baby but he still looked like himself. You did your best to crouch in the underbrush. A few voices floated through the trees, garbled and unfamiliar. Camilo crept closer, and you picked up a stick. He raised an eyebrow, glancing at the stick,"Really?"
You glanced at the stick, back at Camilo, dropped the stick, and picked up a fallen tree branch. Camilo seemed to nod in approval and you considered bonking him on the head with it.
"This jungle is a nightmare," said one voice, calling your attention back to the situation.
"We just need to get some more information on this family, then we can turn back," said another voice. They both sounded young, not so much older than you.
"Did you hear what happened to Jacob? The guy got mauled by a leopard!"
    "Leopards are common jungle cats around here, what's so surprising about that?" Grumbled the second voice. You tried to scan your memory for who these people could be but you didn't come up with any names.
    "Because it was under the control of one of the adults! Imagine if we had this whole jungle after us, then we would be in a bad situation," said the first voice.
    "That's impossible, no one has that level of miracle blessing. Besides, we need to hurry while the storm is out, it's the first time the weather has been pleasant in days."

Camilo inched closer to the conversation, and you held the stick up, ready to swing at a moment's notice. The figures came into sight, or rather one of them did. You only saw one person, but you had definitely heard two voices. You squinted, but only saw the one person. Camilo tugged on your pant leg, placing a finger to his lips. You nodded, but got an idea. You lifted the branch, and imagining Luisa, hurled it as far away as you could. The stick sailed smoothly through the air and landed with a thunk. The figure stopped and turned towards the sound, but as they did you saw another path being made through the underbrush. As if some one was there but not there moving through the forest with you.
    Then is clicked, the second person was invisible.

A/n
Hi, sorry it took so long to update. I forgot about this story (currently in college) but I think I'll keep it going for a little while longer. Remember to vote and comment if you feel like it!