The Pollywog

The next morning I wake up tired, with no sleep from the night. I couldn't sleep with the uneasy feeling I had. The same one I had when Will was missing. I get dressed in jeans and a red long sleeve shirt. I let my long hair flow down my back. I'm brushing my teeth when I hear my walkie.

"Lily? Lily, do you copy?" I hear Dustin say. I spit out my toothpaste and pick up my walkie.

"I copy, over," I say.

"Great, meet me at the library, ASAP. over."

"Dustin why? Over."

"I have something to show you. Please just meet me, over and out." I sigh and grab my backpack and jump on my bike, racing to the library.

I get there and see Dustin waiting outside for me.

"Took you long enough," he sighs. He grabs my hand and pulls me inside.

"This better be good, Henderson," I say.

"Oh trust me, it is," he says. He begins looking over all the book selves and occasionally will grab a book and hand it to me.

"There," he says handing me the last book. We head to the check-out lady and I set the books on her desk. She looks at Dustin and then looks at the books.

"Mr. Henderson, you know the rules. Five at a time," she says sternly.

"Yep, one two three four, and five," he says counting the books.

"Ten, you already have five books checked out," she says.

"What about Lily?" he asks her.

"Also ten," she says. "Two of those are overdue." I avoid eye contact with her.

"My mistake," Dustin says. "However, we are on a curiosity voyage and I need my paddles to travel. These books are my paddles."

"Five, at, a, time," she says again. Dustin sighs and then looks at the wall pointing to it.

"Are you shitting me?" I say.

"Excuse me?"

"What the hell is -," he says. The librarian turns around and Dustin grabs the book and races out of the library, me on his heels.

"Mr. Henderson!" she yells.

"We need our paddles!" he yells as we leave the building. We step outside and sit on the steps. He starts looking through the books.

"What the hell, Dustin?" I say.

"Last night, I found this in my trash can," he says pulling the ghost trap out of his backpack. He opens it and I look inside to find a gross creature squealing inside.

"Ew! What is that?" I ask as he closes that.

"My question exactly," he says handing me a book. We sit in front of the library and tear through the books. "Dart doesn't like the heat and light by the way and he doesn't need water."

"Dustin, I can't find anything," I say.

"Me neither," he says. We keep looking.

"Holy shit Lily, we discovered a new species. He hands me a book and starts explaining.

"No way," I say.

"Wow," he says looking at Dart.

"Shit Dustin, we're gonna be late for science," I say looking at my watch. We pack up the books and bike to the school.

We park our bikes and run full speed into the school, already 15 minutes late for class. Dustin and I burst into the dark class while Mr. Clark is teaching.