The Case of the Missing Lifeguard

The day after our whole discovery that the Russians are in Hawkins, I find myself back in the scoops ahoy shop. Today I am wearing black shorts and a matching camp nowhere shirt Dustin brought back for me. I'm also wearing my white tennis shoes and my hair is up in a high ponytail.

I lick off the last of my chocolate ice cream Robin scooped for me. I lean over her shoulder to find her deep in thought, headphones over her ears. She's trying to decode the message while Steve and Dustin are looking for Russian spies around the mall.

I look over and sigh in annoyance as Erica, Lucas's sister rings the bell trying to Robin's attention. Robin sighs and takes off the headphones and looks at the girl.

"I'd like to try the peanut butter chocolate swirl please," Erica asks with a sassy and annoying grin.

"No, no more samples today," Robins shakes her head.

"Why not?" Erica demands.

"Because you're abusing our company policy," Robin sighs.

"Where's the sailor man?" Erica asks.

"Sorry, he can't help you. He's busy," Robin says turning back towards the counter.

"Busy with what?" Erica sasses.

"Spycraft," I say raising my eyebrows at the girl.

~

Me and Robin sit on the counter in the back room. She's drinking a soda and I'm eating a small bowl of strawberry ice cream.

"The week is long. The silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice if you tread lightly. Tread lightly," Robin says as she starts to flip through a book.

"I don't get it, we should have uncovered something by now," I sigh as I lean my head against the wall. Robin just hums as she continues to look through the book. 

Someone knocks on the back door that leads to the hallway me and the gang take to sneak into the movie. 

"I got it," I say jumping off the counter as Robin turns back to the book. I open the door to reveal a delivery man.

"Delivery for you," the man says handing me a clipboard and pen. I sign Robin's name on the line and hand him the clipboard. He hands me a box but before I take it, I get a look at the company. Lynx. I look up at the word on his hat as I grab the box. I turn around to set it on the table and turn back to him.

"Have a nice day," he says.

"You too," I whisper as he starts to walk away. I look down the hallway as I watch the man walk away. A Lynx is seen on the back of his shirt.

"Silver cat. Of course," I whisper running back to Robin.

"Silver cat," I basically yell at Robin.

"Huh?"

"A lynx. It's a silver cat," I gasp.

"Yeah and?"

"Ugh," I sigh. I rush out of the ice cream shop with Robin on my heels.

"Woah, where are you going?" Dustin yells as I rush past him and Steve I ignore him and stand on top of a bench where plants rest in the middle.

"A trip to China sounds nice. A trip to China sounds nice," I say looking around. I stop when I see Imperial Panda. "A trip to China sounds nice." Robin joins me and looks at Imperial Panda.

"If you tread lightly. If you tread.....lightly!" Robin points to Kauman's shoes.

"Okay. When-when blue meets yellow - in the west. When blue meets yellow, in the west," I say. I stop when I notice a clock hanging on the wall. The clock's hands are blue and yellow.

"Robin," I gasp. She turns and I point to the clock.

"When blue meets yellow in the west," she says. I nod.

"Robin? Lily?" We both turn to Steve and Dustin. "What are you doing."

"We cracked it," Robin says.

"Cracked what?" Dustin asks. Robin turns to me.

"We cracked the code," I say.

~

The mall has closed and the rain pours down on us as we huddle together on top of the mall roof.

"Look for Imperial Panda and Kaufman shoes," Robin instructs.

"They're with that whistling guy, ten o'clock," Dustin points. I squint in the rain and try to make it out.

"What do you think's in there?" Dustin asks.

"Guns, bombs?" Dustin suggest.

"Oh, maybe plans for a secret weapon," I add.

"Or chemical weapons," Robin says.

"Whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth."

"Great. That's great," Steve sighs wiping the rain off his face.

"Hey what's in there?" Robin asks. We watch as a huge door opens and the boxes are wheeled inside.

"It's just more boxes," Dustin says as he watches through the binoculars.

"Let me check it out," Steve as he reaches for them.

"No, I'm still looking."

"Lemme see!"

"Hang on."

The binoculars fall and make a loud bang. I duck next to Dustin and the other two as we breathe heavily, fear of being caught.

Some yelling in Russia is heard and we start to panic.

"Follow me," I order. We keep low and start to head off the roof. We run down a hallway, sure that we are safe.

"Well, I think we found your Russians," Robin gasps.