together.

TW: swearing

~may contain mild spoilers for the austere academy!

~i changed the lines a bit, i couldn't remember how it went exactly.

I continued to sit in silence, trying to process all that happened today. The three children sitting across from me gave me a small smile every now and then, but that was the only interaction I had with any of them. I was about to start a conversation with some of the students, until a girl with bright red hair and a pink dress came over to me.

"Hello cakesniffer!" she said with fake kindness in her voice. I had no idea what 'cakesniffer' meant, but I decided to ignore it.

"Hello, um.." 

"Um, um," she mocked. "Are you a blithering idiot? Everyone knows I'm Carmelita Spats. I'm supposed to give you and the other new orphans a tour, but I'll deal with them later. That's Vice Principal Nero's office. He's a genius and he likes me best." I tuned out the rest of her speech on how adorable, special, and sweet she was. 

After the tour, we ended up back at the office. 

"And here's Vice Principal Nero's office, where you were supposed to be ten minutes ago and now you're late!" she paused, "Ahem."

"Ahem? Uh, thank you?" I asked.

"Thank you's not enough. It's traditional to give a special tour guide a tip at the end of a tour." 

"A tip?" I asked incredulously. I couldn't believe this girl. 

"Yes, a tip! Are you deaf and blind, cakesniffer?" she kicked open the door with her tap shoe. A man with ruffled brown hair and a violin in his hand stepped out. 

"Who dares interrupt a genius while he's rehearsing?" he yelled.

"It's the new orphan, Y/n. She's late for her appointment!" she replied. I watched as Nero complimented Carmelita on her new, stolen broach.

"Thanks, the original owner really liked it!" she said, twirling away.

"Woo! What a lovely girl, sweet as a butterscotch buttercup. She has two living parents." said Nero. I smiled through gritted teeth. What a great school. I followed Nero into the office, and partially listened to him telling me about where I was to stay. Apparently, I'll be living in a small tin shack with three other orphans. 

Eventually, I was sent off to my classroom, where I would be taught by Mrs. Bass. I sat down in the only open seat next to a girl with long, brown hair. Huh, that's the girl from the bench. 

"Everyone, quiet down! We have two new orphans with us today." All heads turned, looking at me and another boy about my age. I sank down in my seat, and the girl next to me gave me a sad smile. It was only then when I realized who she was.

"Izzie?" I whispered. 

"Holy shit, Y/n? Is that you?" she said. I couldn't believe it.

"Yes, its me! Why-?" I started. This couldn't be real.

"Girls, pay attention!" ordered Mrs. Bass. I sighed, I could always talk to her after class. A second later, she slipped a piece of paper on my desk.

Fire. Parents dead.

I frowned. How is it that we both ended up at this miserable school for the same reason? Strange... I wrote back;