code.

TW swearing 

~ sorry i wasn't able to update yesterday :( i hope this chapter makes up for it

~ my pronouns are she/her in case anyone was wondering :)

~ y/l/n/i: your last name initial 

~ i forgot the dialogue again so i had to use the book; i'm sorry about that and i hope that's okay 

here we goooo

Y/n's POV

After Klaus and I finished the book, I went off on my own to search the burnt remains of the headquarters. I started in the library, but most of the books had been charred by the fire. One more shelf to go. I wasn't surprised to see more destroyed books, but when I looked on the top shelf I noticed a large safe that seemed undisturbed by the fire. I pushed one of the small ladders over to the shelf and put the safe on a nearby table. Whoever had closed it must have forgotten to lock it, because the door swung open to reveal a worn book with a  leather cover. No title.

The table of contents seemed to be organized by letter, so I turned to the page that A was on. Black and white photographs filled the pages, and under each photo there was a name. I assumed that they were names of people who had belonged to V.F.D. I turned to the page marked with y/l/n/i and scanned for the names of one of my parents. Nothing. I sighed, and placed the book back into the safe. My hand slipped, and the book fell to the floor. It opened up to the back cover, and a colored photograph fell out. In the picture, twelve V.F.D. members stood in front of Lucky Smells Lumbermill. I recognized some of the people in the picture, including Quigley's parents and the cafeteria worker from Prufrock Prep. Standing next to Mr. and Mrs. Quagmire were my parents.

"Wait, what the fuck?"They had never mentioned the organization, nor were they in the book. They weren't in the book, right? I scanned every page until I found their names. They were in the book! This must have been made at least 25 years ago, my mother's maiden name was marked in the page with R last names. Laura Robinson. They had never told me how they met, so my guess was they met through the organization.

"Y/n? I'm sorry to interrupt, but I think this is important." Klaus said, startling me. 

"Oh, coming!" I yelled, pocketing the photo of the lumbermill.

"I found this scrap of paper in a pile of ash," he started. "It's from a different code book."

"What does it say?" I asked.

"In the e            flagration resulting in the destruction of a sanc      ," he read,"        teers should avail themselves of Verbal Fri      Dialogue which is concealed accordingly."

"That makes no sense, do you think it's in code?" I questioned.

"In a way, I suppose. Some of the sentence is burned away, so you have to figure out the rest of the words. 'Flagration' is probably part of 'conflagration', and 'sanc' is probably from 'sanctuary.'"

"'Teers' is most likely 'volunteers,' but I don't know what 'avail themselves' means." I offered.

"It means 'to make use of.'" he replied. I nodded in understanding. "The part that confused me the most was 'Verbal Fri      Dialogue..."

"It says that it's concealed accordingly," I said. "That means that if it were Verbal Waterfall Dialogue, it would be hidden in the waterfall. Where would someone leave a message where fire can't get to it?"