taxi.

TW swearing 

~ warning don't listen to the song i linked today unless you want to cry 😱 

~ so so sorry for not uploading the past couple days i had something for school and i wasn't able to fit time to write :(

here we gooooo

Y/n's POV

Timeskip brought to you by Cookie/Phil

The mountain was quiet today, not even the quiet buzzing of the snow gnats could be heard. I stepped outside the cave to check for any sign of the Baudelaires, but there was nothing. 

Quigley tried to get me to come in, but he knew there was no point. "Y/n, come back inside. You're gonna freeze out there." I shook my head slowly as I sat down on the edge of the mountain. I didn't care if I froze, I just wanted to know if the Baudelaires were safe. 

I sat out in the snow for an hour until my hands started to get numb. I came back inside hoping that it would be less cold.

"She lives," Quigley joked with a small smile. I sat down next to him and he put his arm around me. I sighed and stared into the fire, the events of the past two weeks replaying in my head. Hearing my father being burned alive. The terrified screams of my best friends. Losing the Baudelaires twice. Being tormented by Carmelita. I was about to go back outside when I heard a branch snap, followed by footsteps outside the cave. 

"Did you hear that?" I whispered to Quigley. He nodded and motioned for me to stay quiet. The footsteps grew closer, and I stumbled back in fear. It was definitely a person, not an animal.

"Shit, get back!" Quigley hissed as the person stepped into the cave. We had not had time to hide, so we accepted the fact that we were going to be spotted. The figure had turned out to be a woman of average height with medium-brown hair. She seemed to recognize us immediately, because her face lit up in a knowing smile. 

"Quigley. Y/n." she grinned. 

"How do you know our names?" I wondered. "Did you read about us in The Daily Punctilio?"

"No, that newspaper is full of false news. I was quite close with your parents long before you were born," she replied. "I'm Kit Snicket, and I'm here to help you."

"Kit Snicket? You were in the book that I found in the headquarters!" I exclaimed. She appeared in a few of the group photos containing my parents. She nodded and started to say something, but Quigley interrupted.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but how did you know we were here?" He asked.

"I received a telegram from a member of V.F.D., who remained anonymous. They told me your situation and location and sent me to help you find The Last Safe Place." I relaxed a bit once she said this, since the Baudelaires were to meet us there by Thursday. We would be able to find them with the help of Kit, and I made a mental note to thank her personally later on.

"Will the Baudelaires be there?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound too desperate.

"I believe so, they should arrive the day we get there." 

"When will we be leaving?" Quigley asked. 

"Tomorrow morning, since the location makes it difficult to find once it gets darker." Kit replied.

"Where is the Last Safe Place? We should be able to know if we're going to be there tomorrow anyways." She shook her head slightly, implying that she wasn't able to tell us. I exhaled in slight annoyance. 

"Stupid rules and secrecy." I mumbled as I kicked the floor. A small stone rolled into a corner and I looked in its direction. There was a small door that read, "A Collecthun of Speshul Things for Adorable Girl." It had to be Carmelita. The door's hinges had rusted over, so Kit had to use a crowbar which she was carrying around for some odd reason to open it. Inside was a map of the Mortmain Mountains, a pamphlet to Prufrock Prep, a pair of tap shoes in every color to ever exist, a piece of paper with lyrics to one of her terrible songs, and a spyglass. 

"Why the hell does Carmelita have a spyglass?" Quigley asked in disbelief. 

"I'm guessing she stole it from someone since her parents never had any history with V.F.D.," Kit answered. "Were there any adults with her besides her parents when she was here last?"

"The Snow Scout troop leader, Brucie, was there, but that's it." I said. We turned to Kit for an answer, but she shook her head.

"Beats me. This Brucie person was never in the organization either." Quigley put the map in his pocket and slammed the door shut. A layer of dust fell off, causing me to cough. Quigley slapped me on the back, but he did so much harder than I would have liked. (don't make this sound wrong please idk what else to write 😔) This led to us jokingly beating each other up, and Kit stood and smirked.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked her.

"You two have a great relationship. Your parents would one hundred percent approve." Kit replied. Quigley and I rolled our eyes at each other.

"Why does everyone think we're dating? You're like the third or fourth person to say that." I said, pretending to be upset. Kit shot us a look that implied she really thought we were together. 

"Let's change the subject. We should rest so we can get out of here first thing in the morning." Kit said. 

"How are we going to get off of the mountain? I don't see any type of vehicle," Quigley asked.

"Oh, I have a taxi somewhere in the forest. She's a bit old, but it'll get the job done." Kit replied.

"How the hell did you get a taxi- never mind." I said. 

"I have my ways, Y/n. I have my ways."

I can tell. 

End of chapter twelve.

a/n: hey! sorry this is short, i put most of the details into tomorrow's chapter. also thanks so much for almost 500 reads! <3

writing time: 1 hr 30 min

word count: 1022

- olivia <3