accommodating.

TW: swearing

~ there's one of my fav mitski songs in case you wanna listen while you read <3

Time skip brought to you by the one and only False Spring Queen 

Today, Quigley and I were planning on leaving the cave to search for the Baudelaires. Brucie, however, insisted we stay another day because of the weather. We had been staying with the Snow Scouts for about a week now, and we had recently learned that the Baudelaires were on the mountain somewhere. 

That afternoon found everyone sitting around the fire and talking quietly amongst themselves. Quigley and I seemed to be the only people not talking. I hugged my knees close to my chest and  stared at the entrance of the cave. 

"Hey, do you wanna talk?" whispered Quigley. I nodded and looked up at him. 

"I-I just want to find them. The Baudelaires, I mean. They might be hurt, or worse, and we don't even know for sure if they're on this mountain. I just wanna know if they're okay." I said. My voice was shaking, and I looked away so he wouldn't notice that I was about to cry. It wouldn't matter anyways, because of the masks we had been using to hide our faces. I had stopped worrying so much about the Quagmires, since we had learned that they were safe.

"Y/n, I'm sure that they're alright. We'll find them, we can leave first thing tomorrow morning." 

"Promise?" I asked.

"I promise." He replied. Gosh, I'm so in love with this boy. I was struggling to keep my head upright, I was so tired. I had stayed up crying every night since we arrived in the cave so I barely got any sleep. Quigley put his arm around me and I rested my head on my shoulder. I looked up at him to make sure he was alright with it and he nodded. A minute later, Carmelita came marching up to us. Leave it up to her to ruin our moment.

"Ooh, the cakesniffers are in looooooooove!" she sang, causing the other Snow Scouts to laugh. 

"Shut your mouth, asshole." I snapped. The Snow Scouts gasped.

"Brucie, the cakesniffer called me a mean name," she pouted. Brucie glared at me and went back to her book. I went back to holding my knees to my chest, slightly embarrassed that she had called out Quigley and I. 

A minute later, I heard footsteps approaching the mouth of the cave. Carmelita apparently heard them too, because she stood up and marched over to the people. She looked the two of them up and down, glaring at them slightly.

"Brucie, there's cakesniffers outside the cave." she whined. The two figures shared a knowing look.

"Carmelita Spats." whispered one of the people. Her voice sounded familar...

"That's me! Wait, Brucie! That's the Baudelaires!" Carmelita said angrily. I sat up quickly.

"Is that true?" I asked loudly, hoping I didn't sound too desperate.

"Well- we're not them, we're.. um.." said the boy.

"Mountain climbers! We're mountain climbers." finished the girl who had spoken earlier.

"Oh, come in, you two. It's freezing out there!" Brucie said hurriedly.

"But- but I don't want them to come in! Last time we let a few cakesniffing strangers into our cave, we got stuck with these two lovebirds!" Carmelita replied.

"But, we must remember to be accommodating! After all, Snow Scouts are..."

"Snow Scouts are accommodating, basic, calm, darling, emblematic, frisky, grinning, human, innocent, jumping, kept, limited, meek, nap-loving, official, pretty, quarantined, recent, scheduled, tidy, understandable, victorious, wholesome, xylophone, young, and zippered–every morning, every afternoon, every night, and all day long!" chorused the Snow Scouts. The two mountain climbers shared the same look that Quigley and I had when we first heard their ridiculous pledge. I turned to him.