12

jack watched esmeray storm out of the restaurant and he threw his napkin onto the table.

"fuck." he whispered to himself.

i just ruined what i had with esmeray.

jack picked up the $20 esmeray had thrown on the table and put it in his pocket, intending to give it back to her. he wasn't about to have her pay for the dinner that he invited her to-yet also made her storm out of.

jack took the bill, putting it into his pocket, and pulled out his own wallet to pay. when he left, he took out his phone and texted his brothers.

jack
i just ruined everything i had with her

quinn
what happened?

luke
what did you do

jack
i took her out to dinner and told her i like her. she told me she got a job offer in california that she might take. i told her to say no.

luke
you done messed up jacky

quinn
why would you tell her not to go?

jack
cause i want her to stay

quinn
you're shuch an idiot. why do you want her to stay?

jack
because. she's perfect.

luke
jack is whipped

jack them went to text his friend trevor.

jack
you know the girl that works in the hospitality and i really like her?

trevor
of course, you never shut up about her

jack
i messed things up, real bad

trevor
i know you're my friend, but sometimes you get yourself into so many messes.

jack
i know

jack got back to his room, whom he was sharing with ty smith. ty didn't ask jack what was wrong, and just decided to leave him be.

jack hopped into the shower, then changed into other clothes. he got into his bed and eventually fell asleep.

game day.

esmeray was not looking forward to it at all.

jack would be there, and she didn't really want to see him. not at all.

as she was getting ready for the game, her phone lit up. auriella had texted her, asking how she was doing.

esmeray didn't respond and instead, turned her phone off. she changed into her devils uniform and pulled her hair back into a ponytail.

she grabbed her hockey bag, along with her turned off phone and hotel key, and made the trip to the elevator.

the elevator stopped on her floor and the doors opened. inside was none other than jack hughes. esmeray stepped in, and looked forward.

"hey." jack said. it was awkward, and esmeray kind of felt bad.

"hi." esmeray said simply. there was some silence before jack looked at esmeray.

"im sorry about last night. i shouldn't have said that." he apologized. esmeray still didn't look at him, and he knew he had really messed up.

"if you want, take the job. you go do what you want to do." jack assured.

"it's funny that you think i'm actually going to take the job." esmeray chuckled. jack furrowed his eyebrows and looked back at esmeray.

"you're not taking the job?" jack asked.

"no. i really thought about while in bed last night, and it's not worth it. i worked so hard to get where i'm at, even if my college professor did help me. i've been a devils fan my whole life, i'm not gonna go and switch and be a ducks fan." esmeray explained.

"hey! my friends out that team." jack scoffed. "but the ducks offered you that job?"

they got out of the elevator and walked into the lobby, seeing some other devils players there already.

"yep, but hey, i'm sorry about blowing up on you last night. i really shouldn't have done that." esmeray apologized.

"you're good. i shouldn't have said you shouldn't go." jack smiled. the two shared a hug before jack reached into his pocket.

"here is your money from last night." jack handed her the money back and esmeray chuckled.

"why are you giving me this back? you couldnt let me pay?" esmeray asked jokingly.

"i will never let a women pay for dinner, even if i did make her storm out." jack chuckled.

"i'll see you later." she said before going to check up on another devil.