The Spider

Rey was always full of energy. She never ever seemed tired or overworked. She was perfect. 

You sat across from her at the small table in the on-campus Dunkin' Donuts knowing that your eyes were dark and sunken and that you surely looked like a troll next to her. In contrast to your usual getup of leggings, a t-shirt, and messy hair, she was wearing a beautiful yellow sundress with her hair tidily fixed into her signature style of three buns on the back of her head--her delicate, pretty face expertly done up with "no-makeup makeup" to accentuate her gorgeous features. You were both enjoying coffee and a breakfast sandwich, both elated to be seeing each other after a few weeks without the other's company. 

"And do you know what's the craziest part?" She said excitedly, her British accent music to your ears. 

"What's that?" You said, taking a bite of your egg bagel. 

"They told us to name our cadaver for this lab! We had to give this poor dead person a name!" She scrunched up her face at the thought.

"That's honestly kind of hilarious, Rey," you smiled to yourself.

"It's horrendous, absolutely morbid," she scoffed, taking a sip of her coffee. 

"I mean, you know that I have always been super fascinated by the stuff you do. And you're almost done," you raised one hand in a fist of celebration. 

"You, too, though. I can't believe we have made it this far," she said wide-eyed.

"Well, I've taken a year longer than you to get here, so you are much more impressive," you assured her. 

"Don't do that. You have worked so hard to get here," she held a hand to her chest. 

"Barely." 

"Are you kidding? You've worked your ass off for nearly five years doing your school work, working a job, and being as creative as you can. It's impressive," she said your name, truly meaning every word. "You've done way more than me. I'm just a trust fund baby. I've never worked a day in my life," she chuckled. 

"Okay, but it would be impossible to have a job and do the work you do. Your schooling is your job," you didn't want her to discredit herself. 

"Sure. But I think it's the coolest thing ever that you've been able to keep this up basically by your own determination and work. A bunch of people here, me included, are riding on our parents' money."

"I got some money for school when my dad passed," you shrugged. "It's not all me." 

"Well. I still think you're amazing. And your dad would be so proud," Rey said, putting a hand on top of yours.

"Thanks. You know that always means a lot to me," you gave a small smile, trying not linger on it for too long. "Oh! Tell me about your professors. I know you have mostly new ones this semester."

"Yeah, they're something else. I have this one--name's Kisner--and I can just tell that he is going to be the worst. His final is like two hundred questions long or something like that, and I am not looking forward to it. But I do have Cedars again this semester, and you know how much I enjoyed her class. So, that cancels out the pain of the looming fear of the big final. I also don't have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I decided that I'm going to start volunteering at the methods school. You know the on campus elementary school where the education majors teach?"

You knew that if you got her started she would talk and talk. It was perfect. 

"Yes, I do," you nodded, listening intently. 

"Yeah, so I'm gonna volunteer down there on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I think they're gonna have me tutoring or something, I'm not sure, but I'll be starting that next week. It shouldn't impede on my schedule too much. And I was hoping that we could have more time to hang out--maybe occasionally go off campus because we basically never do that," she perked up. "You know, I realized that we have only been to a Mardi Gras parade like twice, and we have lived in New Orleans forever. We have to get more immersed in the culture around here."