Hanukkah Pt. 1

You really hadn't thought about it much. But as you were packing an overnight bag for eight nights, it really sunk in. 

You were going to his house. You would be in his domain, in his own little world. You didn't know too much about him on a personal level, and this was as personal as it got. Would he have photos of family? Would he have man-who-lives-alone decor? What kind of furniture did he have and what aesthetic did he go for? Did he have guest bedroom? All of these questions were circling around lightning fast in your head. 

You got everything together. Toothbrush, night clothes, several outfits. You didn't know much about Hanukkah, but you packed a blue sweater, because you were pretty sure that was the Hanukkah color. You didn't get him a gift either, because again, you didn't know how that worked. Your only experience with Judaism had been through TV and movies, and there was usually gifting involved, but you really just didn't know. You already had the week off since you had anticipated going back home, so it was really just going to be you and him in his home for a week. Your nerves were out of this world. Rey was away with Finn for the week, and you had told her where you would be. She was skeptical, and she was worried about it, but you assured her it was fine and that you and him were fine. 

When he had sent you his address, you were taken aback. He lived in the Garden District. That was a place you had never even step foot in because you didn't know any of the rich and elite of New Orleans. You never had a reason to go. But he lived there, and when you looked up the address online, you were even more stunned to find that it was as grandiose as all the other houses in the neighborhood. It was a huge white, regal Victorian mansion behind ornate wrought iron fences. It was unbelievable, so much so that you started to think he may have pranked you and gave you the wrong address. 

But to your surprise, as you walked up to the heavy wrought iron gate and hit the call button, the gates creaked open. You waked down the the cobblestoned walkway to the steps, taking a deep breath before before going up and to the door. Before you could knock, Kylo opened the door. He was in a dark green sweater and dark washed tapered jeans. He had no shoes on. He looked casual and effortless and stunning with his hair tamed, a smile on his face. 

"Hey," he greeted you. 

"Hello," you shifted the heavy overnight bag on your shoulder. 

"Let me take that. I'll bring it to your room," he reached forward grabbing the bag. "You're going to be the first person to stay in my guest room." He stepped back inviting you in. 

When you walked in, you were in awe of the foyer. It was painted in dark greys, with royal moldings and columns. It was decorated exactly how you would expect a Victorian estate to be decorated. You looked up at the vaulted ceiling, a modern light fixture hanging from it. 

"Kylo, this is magnificent," you said in awe, eyeing a piece of artwork on the wall to your left. 

"I paid some people to decorate it, because I had zero interest in doing that myself," he said as he turned, walking up the grand staircase ahead of you. "I'll be right back, just go in the living room--on your right." 

You looked over and walked through the threshold into the equally as impressive living area. A seemingly comfortable grey sectional was in the middle of the room along with other pieces of furniture and a huge TV mounted on the wall. You walked over to the couch and took a seat, trying to look at everything. Though it was decorated with art and other interesting little pieces, you didn't see any photos. 

He came back into the room, walking over to a black buffet table in the corner of the room. He leaned down, opening one of the cabinets and came back up with what you recognized as a menorah.