chapter 12

Millie is outside her apartment complex, looking down at her phone every five seconds waiting for Finn who is supposed to arrive in one minute. She felt like time had stopped moving, a minute taking too long. 

She finally see's his car slow down and come to a stop, before giving him a chance to get off and open the door for her, she gets inside. 

"hey," he says softly. 

Finn is wearing a plain white shirt, black jeans and his white and black converse.

"hi," she replies back buckling her seat belt before he drives off.

The car ride is silent, no words exchanged. He glances at her every so often noticing how nervous she is. Fidgeting with her necklace that she is always wearing, biting her lip. 

She's a nervous wreck, she's ready to tell Finn to turn around and make an excuse to not see her father. She can't stand seeing him happy with his other family. A happy family something that she should have had forever. 

Too deep in her thoughts she doesn't realize the car came to a complete stop, parked now. Finn  right outside, opening the door for her. 

"are you okay?" he asks concerned.  "if you want to leave we can," he states. the hint of concern and reassurance in his voice, always wanting to protect her. 

she shakes her head, "no" she takes his hand getting out of the car shutting the door. standing beside Finn, still holding his hand, she looks at the house across the street.  A beautiful two story house with high arched windows. Velvet drapes framed the window allowing the daylight to enter. A beautiful white looking picket fence surrounding the house.

They both cross the street, walking up to the door. She presses the doorbell waiting for her father to answer. She feels his hand squeeze hers, giving her some type of reassurance that everything will be okay.

Seconds later the door opens revealing her father, he looks happy seeing her, "it's so good to see you, Millie" he says wrapping his arms around her. "come in," he let's them enter before closing the door. 

"how are you?" he asks.

"i'm good," she takes a seat on the couch and Finn sits next to her.

"how about your mother?"

"she's fine," she replies. 

Her father places two glasses of water on the coffee table in front of them. Finn replying with a thank you as he takes the glass taking a sip from it before setting it down.

licking her lips as she held her clammy hands together, "w-why didn't you visit me?"
one of the many questions she's been wanting to know the answer to.

"I've been busy."

she nods "right, busy with your new family," she looks at the picture next to the couch on the table, it's him standing next to a lady. His hand wrapped around her, both of them smiling widely. 

"I never meant for this to happen," he looks down "I'm sorry." his shoulders slump in defeat. 

she scoffs "you're sorry?" she asks in disbelief, clenching her jaw. "You ruined everything. I-I thought you loved me."

"I do, of course I do. You're my daughter."

"Then why did you leave me!" she raises her voice "You left and never said goodbye. You'll never understand how much you hurt me,"  her eyes filled with tears. "what did I do?" she whispers. 

"You did nothing wrong," he reassures her his hand reaching out to her, but she pulls hers away. 

She doesn't believe that. She must have done something wrong. How is that one day they're both laughing and smiling while eating dinner together as a family and the next second he's walking out of the house leaving without saying goodbye.